Daytime running lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02TAHOELT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When are the DRL's (Daytime running light) suppose to turn on. Because when i start my Truck my HIDs come on (the 9006).
Are the bulbs burned out (DRL)?
Where is the location for any fuses am suppose to be looking for?

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
If you have the DRL option, they are suppossed to come on with the ignition on and the vehicle is in Drive with the parking brake off. The DRL bulbs are notorious for burning out at a quicker rate than most bulbs. If I remember correctly, I think the fuse is in the underhood fusebox. Check there and also check in on the driver's side fuse box.

02TAHOELT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have the DRL option, they are suppossed to come on with the ignition on and the vehicle is in Drive with the parking brake off. The DRL bulbs are notorious for burning out at a quicker rate than most bulbs. If I remember correctly, I think the fuse is in the underhood fusebox. Check there and also check in on the driver's side fuse box.

So there's no way of really checking it if your alone,Well last night i changed both bulbs, relay, and 10 amp fuse.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do 07s work like 06's where when you hit unlock the reverse lights and drls come on as whell as the mirror lights? thats how i would check it. As i recall the drsl on 07 chevy tahoe ans burb are just like the 06 gmc's and chevy's where they have their own light for drls, but the yukons use the low beams at a lower power.

my lights come on when i shift out of park, weather its N R or D. but once in park they go right off. the only time the head lights come when i start are if its dark, do you keep it in a garage and the sentinal thinks its dark and turns on your lights. i can tell when my head lights are on because my nav goes in to night mode.

02TAHOELT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do 07s work like 06's where when you hit unlock the reverse lights and drls come on as whell as the mirror lights? thats how i would check it. As i recall the drsl on 07 chevy tahoe ans burb are just like the 06 gmc's and chevy's where they have their own light for drls, but the yukons use the low beams at a lower power.

my lights come on when i shift out of park, weather its N R or D. but once in park they go right off. the only time the head lights come when i start are if its dark, do you keep it in a garage and the sentinal thinks its dark and turns on your lights. i can tell when my head lights are on because my nav goes in to night mode.

Well today i was behind someone, and they are working. Because i saw the glare from there car. Thanks

Rwayne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya these lights suck.. I just bought the yukon a month and a half ago and have already had to replace both sides twice! and I'm gonna have to do it again today or tomorrow..It's good that the headlights come out so easy! but is there another bulb recommendation, I think the stock bulb number is 4114??

EROC

Reaction score
Refer to picture, I assumed they were and mine don't come on so I will check the bulbs...
They are also a bit foggy...
May have to polish them...

DRL.jpg

EROC

Reaction score
No bulb issue... :D had to look at it in the tailgate of a truck to realize they work... LOL

Darren01

Reaction score
Need Daytime Running Lights to not be Disabled

Hi group.. i'm new to the forum and a proud new owner of a 2005 Yukon Denali XL that I purchased via eBay from Florida and had shipped up to Canada.

In Canada our transport laws require DTRL's at all times, and the law prohibits the ability to disable them. On the Yukon if i turn the master light switch counterclockwise (its on a spring return) then it disables the DTRL's until next time i turn the vehicle off/on.

Does anyone know if this can be changed by reprogramming the computer? The other thought I had is that perhaps there is a wire connected to that spring-return portion of the light switch that could simply be disconnected so that it doesn't send a signal to the computer to disable the DTRL's.

Thanks for your help!!

Darren

Trend Setta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi group.. i'm new to the forum and a proud new owner of a 2005 Yukon Denali XL that I purchased via eBay from Florida and had shipped up to Canada.

In Canada our transport laws require DTRL's at all times, and the law prohibits the ability to disable them. On the Yukon if i turn the master light switch counterclockwise (its on a spring return) then it disables the DTRL's until next time i turn the vehicle off/on.

Does anyone know if this can be changed by reprogramming the computer? The other thought I had is that perhaps there is a wire connected to that spring-return portion of the light switch that could simply be disconnected so that it doesn't send a signal to the computer to disable the DTRL's.

Thanks for your help!!

Darren

if you don't want them to turn on at all...just take out the fuse

Darren01

Reaction score
if you don't want them to turn on at all...just take out the fuse

No... i have the opposite issue. I need to make it so there is no way to disable the DTRL's. In Canada my vehicle won't pass the safety inspection if there is a way to disable the DTRL's at the main light switch.

bzbatl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My passenger side DRL harness looks like it melted or exploded. I just unplugged both bulbs.

ugachs24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No... i have the opposite issue. I need to make it so there is no way to disable the DTRL's. In Canada my vehicle won't pass the safety inspection if there is a way to disable the DTRL's at the main light switch.

Is it common knowledge that on a 2005 Denali, you need to turn the master light switch one click to the left to disable the DRLs? :skep: :confused2:

Darren01

Reaction score
Is it common knowledge that on a 2005 Denali, you need to turn the master light switch one click to the left to disable the DRLs? :skep: :confused2:

I'm not sure how common it is, but the little dweeb at the inspection just looked at me with triumph when he told me it wouldn't pass until it was changed the switch or the computer programming

I actually endorse the concept of DTRL's, but i resent that vehicle superior to most on the road doesn't pass cuz some government bureaucrat thinks i'll wantonly disable them. There are lots of ways to disable them permanently if i wanted to.

serge12345

Reaction score
1996 tahoe running daylamp question

:umn: hello chevy family I bought a set of light bulbs on ebay brand litech 9006 8000k 80w a week ago and this morning they would not come on, but when I used the dome override switch on the left side of the dashboard they work fine but they supposed to come on automatically due to the case they are daytime running lamp what could it be I also tried the stock light bulbs 5000k 9006 55w please help

MikeCallery

Reaction score
You said you tried the stock light bulbs but didn't say if they worked or didn't. I'm assuming they did not so that alleviates the bulbs as part of your problem.

I think an important question would have to be whether the DRL's worked before you started to do all this. Changing the bulb should have no affect so the question arises - did they work before you did all this and besides changing the bulb, did you mess with anything else?

serge12345

Reaction score
thanks mr mike the stock lights did not work either but when I turn the knob on the dome override switch the stock lights come on and the new light bulbs which I bought also come on what could it be also whats a drl

serge12345

Reaction score
daytime running lamps ok------ yes they did work for a week but this morning they wouldnt come on i tried replacing the stock lights back but nothing the only way they come on is If I used the dome override knob which is located on the left side of the dashboard

MikeCallery

Reaction score
O.K. I'm just trying to follow. Just to clarify:
You had drl's, they worked fine, you changed the bulbs and it stopped working.

Two things come to mind, not that I'm any expert. First, if they were working, and stopped, with you changing your bulbs, you might have run hotter bulbs, they would have pulled more amperage, and a) you might have blown the fuse that runs the drl's or you might have fried a wire.

If it's not that, I'm at a loss, sorry, but that's where I'd be looking first.