Morning folks...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GTO2050

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New member here. I just picked up a 2002 Tahoe LT in black last week and it is a great truck. An issue popped up thjis morning with the "Service 4WD" warning light. All the manual tells me is that there may be a problem. Can anyone service this or does it have to go through a dealer to be serviced and turned off? Thanks for your help.

PS A lot of good info on here!

Hoebag03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not sure about your problem as i have the 2wd, but just wanted to say welcome:thumbsup:

GTO2050

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I talked to a dealer today and he was more than willing to work with me on it. He said it probably threw a code and should be put on the analyzer to see. He offered to do it for nothing and offered to download a software patch that might fix it. If not he said we could work something out. I liked the attitude. (Too many years of owning crappy Fords!)

Coastie Kyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had that exact problem. I thought at first it means I need to change the fluids (gear oil or differential), so I did. But when I had a diagnostic run on it, it turned out to be the switch. The GM dealer told me they could replace it for 230 DOLLARS! Well I laughed in his face and found the switch on ebay for 20 dollars. Tell him to check the switch. That seems to be a normal problem these trucks seems to have.

cafishel

Reaction score
4x4 Switch

I just got my Tahoe about a month ago... but the woman I got it from had a problem with her switch under warranty...