HID's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02TAHOELT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i installed HIDS, i got a question do you need to run a Relay to the HIDs because almost everytime i start my car with the Key or with the Remote Start. They flicker when the engine is turning, sometimes they stay on, sometimes they don't. And when i hit the High Beam and go back to low beam they stay on?

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when i put mine in i had to have the auto head lights disabled, because when the engine is turning over it is not providing at least 12 volts and doing that every time you start at night will burn them out a TON faster and will also damage the system. :ack:

02TAHOELT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does everyone have there Auto headlights on Disabled?
Or will a relay solve my problem?

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Does everyone have there Auto headlights on Disabled?
Or will a relay solve my problem?

A relay won't help if low voltage is the problem, because the draw when the starter cranks affects the entire electrical system. So whatever voltage the ballasts are getting when they are on while the engine is cranking, will be the same amount of voltage you'll get with a relay.

sixty9fordkiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when i put mine in i had to have the auto head lights disabled, because when the engine is turning over it is not providing at least 12 volts and doing that every time you start at night will burn them out a TON faster and will also damage the system. :ack:

Your truck is an 06 right? Mine is an 05. How did you disable the auto headlights?

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i did a cheapy, i just put a box with a little led light over the sensor on the dash, which worked but i had to turn on the light before i turned on the truck, the thought of loosing the feature made me cringe a little, but i had to remove the hids for too reasons, a cop stopped me and said my daily driver is an 06 yukon , so we have the same model but yours has blue lights, he told me in va its illeagle to have aftermarket lights with out city approval. then the dealer told me if i had trouble it would risk my warrenty. so i removed them and when my warrenty runs out i will buy a GOOD set and have the dealer install it so i dont have the state up my butt.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Also, if you set your parking brake when you get out of your vehicle, that will disable the autolights until it is released.

sixty9fordkiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i did a cheapy, i just put a box with a little led light over the sensor on the dash, which worked but i had to turn on the light before i turned on the truck, the thought of loosing the feature made me cringe a little, but i had to remove the hids for too reasons, a cop stopped me and said my daily driver is an 06 yukon , so we have the same model but yours has blue lights, he told me in va its illeagle to have aftermarket lights with out city approval. then the dealer told me if i had trouble it would risk my warrenty. so i removed them and when my warrenty runs out i will buy a GOOD set and have the dealer install it so i dont have the state up my butt.

Oh. Ok. Sorry to hear about your HIDs. Go with 6000K. Those are pure white light with no blue or purple whatsoever (even though the lights look like they're trying really hard to look purple, they are pure white) A lot of people go with 8500K and thats blue light. 10000K is intense Blue. and 12000K (stupid and not bright at all) is violet

sixty9fordkiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, if you set your parking brake when you get out of your vehicle, that will disable the autolights until it is released.

You know what, my dad's 01 silverado's headlights wont come on if the parking brake is set, but on my 05 hoe they come one with or without the parking brake set (assuming its dark out)

Hoebag03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my kit came with 2 relays (one for each light) and i havent had any problems, didnt have to disable the auto on either:thumbsup: