Need to change my radiator...few questions...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SSport

Full Access Member
Reaction score

marinekilz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well does you truck have oil cooler lines?? Look on the left and right tabs of your raditor. If you have lines on both sides (one set for tranny oil and the other for engine oil) then you need the one with the oil cooler. If you only have a set of lines on one side of your radiator (not sure if it will be the left or right side) you need the one w/o oil cooler

Last edited:

SSport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well does you truck have oil cooler lines?? Look on the left and right tabs of your raditor. If you have lines on both sides (one set for tranny oil and the other for engine oil) then you need the one with the oil cooler. If you only have a set of lines on one side of your radiator (not sure if it will be the left or right side) you need the one w/o oil cooler

I haven't gotten a chance to look at it yet but will do so tonight.

Thanks for the helpful info though :thumbsup:

marinekilz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
glad I could help out :p

Plus you can just get a rad with oil cooler lines and it will fit both, you will just not use the oil cooler in the rad if yours doesn't have the lines. Plus you could add the oil cooler lines onto your motor for extra cooling.

SSport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
glad I could help out :p

Plus you can just get a rad with oil cooler lines and it will fit both, you will just not use the oil cooler in the rad if yours doesn't have the lines. Plus you could add the oil cooler lines onto your motor for extra cooling.

Yep, I actually learnned that yesterday
Once again, thanks for all your help

SSport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I figured I'd share my dumb moment of the weekend:

Got the new radiator shipped to my house on Friday. Took the old one out...put the new one in and realized that the engine oil cooler lines are too big to fit in the holes on the radiator.

I freak out (can't call the company until Monday, b/c they're not open on weekends) take out the new radiator, clean it up nicely so it can be shipped back.

Last night I go to put it in the box so I can ship it back, and what does my dumb a** see? A bag of extra adapters just in case the holes on the radiator are too small :mad2:

Oh well, huge weight off my shoulders as I don't have to worry about shipping back the new one and finding one that fits :clapping:

Lesson: Don't be a dumb a** like me and check the box real good :rofl:

jwpotts0413

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if my radiator looks all brown and rusted inside do u think i should replace it?

the truck ran hot at first but now that i changed the heater valve it runs at 140 degrees all day.

SSport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if my radiator looks all brown and rusted inside do u think i should replace it?

the truck ran hot at first but now that i changed the heater valve it runs at 140 degrees all day.

Not necessarily. What I learned through this whole experience is, if it ain't broke don't fix it. I had the coolant flush done and that's when all of my problems arose.

sdccj-7

Reaction score
My radiator

sprung a leak, I appreciate the heads up on the link to radiator barn. Did you have good luck with the product?

SSport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sprung a leak, I appreciate the heads up on the link to radiator barn. Did you have good luck with the product?

Yes, the radiator was perfect quality and it comes with a lifetime warranty. It's been in for a few months now and it's working like a charm! I saved A LOT of money by doing it myself as well.

Dealership wanted over $700......just crazy.

sdccj-7

Reaction score
Got it

replaced with a "heavy duty" model from hear in town $250 for a four core radiator from a reputable company didn't sound bad.
Especially when I got a quote from a local shop for $450 to replace it and it took me less than 1 hour to replace :yesnod: .

BTW- I found a small coil in front of the condensor, does anyone know if that is a factory trans. cooler? It's on a 99 Tahoe......