2500-2600 RPM at 80MPH?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tahoeman21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:confused: Hey wassup? im a newbie here and this site is tight!!!! Is it normal for a tahoe to run at 2500-2600 RPM at 80MPH? If it isn't, what can I do to correct this?

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:confused: Hey wassup? im a newbie here and this site is tight!!!! Is it normal for a tahoe to run at 2500-2600 RPM at 80MPH? If it isn't, what can I do to correct this?

what gear ratio do you have, i have 4:10 and at 95 mph, i run about 3100 rpms. when i drive sainly about 75( all the time except for that one time) it runs about 2200, seems right if you have 4:10, if you have 3:73 then some of the other guys will chime in soom.

tahoeman21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what gears i'm runnin. All I know is that I have a tahoe C1500 with a 5.7L. its a 2 wheel drive. It does have a towing package.:yesnod:

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, according to WIKI, you have 3.73, but i only trust them as a checker not to give me info from the start, that may be right or it may not. at 85 mph that isnt two bad, has it always been that way or is it a new problem.

tahoeman21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2500-2600rpm at 80mph?

it has always been that way since i bought it.... I notice it when i was driving it home from the dealership. What i have also notice is that when im traveling at speeds of 75mph and i want to accelerate, it does not down shift but it does pick up speed quickly, which i think its cool. I don't believe my gauges aren't malfunctioning. At speeds of 100MPH, the engine is running at 3000RPM.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow, do they not have a speed Gov on the 99 and below. 100 is as high as the speedo goes, i bet if it did down shif in to 3 if would shoot your rpms up way to high, i dont think that good for the engine, also in my 99 sub, if i was moving between 68 and 72 the whole car would shake, wonder why that happend, also if i floored it twice, say to pass my check engine light would come on, STRANGE, but i have a new one so i dont worry about that stuff now.

marinekilz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you don't want to decodethe RPO, chevy usually has a tab on one of the bolts of the rear end backing plate to say what is the rearend is. Try to look to see if it is still there.

And BTW anyone know where the code sticker are for the 99 hoes??? I haven't looked for mine yet but is it in the glove like on older chevy?

marinekilz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RPO stands for "regular production option". Basically it is a list of three digit codes for the options that the vehicle is going to have when it is being built. they are paper and stickers from the factory. Older GMs had them in the glove box. Really old cars you could find the papers stuffed under the back seats.