Stereo install - Power wire routing question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hardwarz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I have a question.... How did you guys run your power for your amps? From the battery, through the firewall? How did you get through the firewall? Where did you drill?

Pictures would be great.

Thanks

Hardwarz

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Whenever I run any cables through, I usually drill through the firewall, insert a snap-in grommet, and run the wire through with split loom. The driver's side is ususally a lot easier than the passenger side due to the HVAC system.
On vehicles without a standard trans, I usually drill through the plate where the clutch would mount in a manual trans vehicle.
Just be sure to use some sort of grommet if you drill a hole. After while the edges of the metal will chafe through the insulation and cause a short. And double check wherever you drill on BOTH sides of the firewall to make sure you clear any harnesses, the brake booster, etc.

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i did the same, drilled through the firewall on the passenger side for my 4ga power wire, and on the driver side for the switch for the day lighters on the brush gaurd.

Hardwarz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where exactly did you drill? High or low on the pass firewall? I just can't seem to find a place to get a drill in there.

Thanks for the responses.

Hardwarz

Jason_Ridgeway

Reaction score
I drilled mine on the driver side,mine is a 99 so it would be more like yours,if you look on the driverside of your brake booster kinda under neath toward the driverside there is a spot to drill!study both in and out before you drill to make sure you drill in the right place where nothing will be harmed.then you can take a chainsaw file and gently file down the rough edges and then install the grommet!hope this helps

00'hoe

Reaction score
there was already a hole in my fire wall for my fog lights and it was big enough to put the power cable through

ScottyG

Reaction score
i drilled mine on the passanger side just under the blower moter. if i remember right i drilled from the inside, and ran the 4 gage up between fire wall and the wheel well. a rubber gramet and silacone of corse. also dont run you power wire and RCA's together, the remote wire is ok, but you may get some feed back noise with running heavy gage power wire next to the RCA's

96 tahoe
2 door

jwpotts0413

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what scotty said...

i drilled mine on the passenger side about 2/3 down from dash to floor. i also used 4 ga power wire with a grommet and no wire loom. i crammed the power wire under the plastic trim and used zip ties under the hood. then i routed the rca cables on the driver side under the carpet to behind the dash