Fuel Delivery??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

surfdougyfresh

Reaction score
I'm a proud 8 month owner of a '99 GMC Yukon that is serving me very well, though I've had an issue after letting the truck sit for a few days.

Problem 1: I left the truck parked at the airport for 2 weeks. Upon return, the battery was dead and even after trying to jump it, it would spark, fire then die off. Getting a bit of gas, but won't stay running. I returned the next day with a new battery and fuel filter. Still no dice. I had been suspecting the reliability of the fuel pump and happened to have a new ebay special pump in backseat ready for installation. After towing to a local garage, I tried it again looking for a second opinion, and the truck fired right up. It was there so I had the pump replaced.

I drove it for about 6 weeks during which time the truck would take a few extra turns of the engine to start, but run without issue. i figured it was just a different pump maybe?

Problem 2: I'm off on another trip for a week and leave the car at the airport. Upon return the battery is fine, I disconnected the battery this time, but when trying to start it, same issue of barely firing then quitting. I coudl hear the fuel pump would run up to pressure and then cut off, but it just didn't seem to get the fuel to the engine. I poured a bit of fuel directly into the intake which would allow it to run, run poorly, but run, until I stopped dribbling fuel. After lining up a tow truck to meet me at the airport two days later and having it lined up at my bumper, I tried the ignition for kicks and sure enough, it starts first turn. I drove it an hour home without any issues and drove it to work today just fine.

Does anyone have an idea of what might be the problem? I've read distributor rotor or cap replacement might help, but I don't want to start throwing money at perfectly good parts...

Thanks...

marinekilz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First the parasidic drain on your battery is not the no start problem most likely.

Second it could be alot of things related to fuel that has nothing to do with ignition system equipment.

If your sure while having the problem that pouring fuel into the intake make the engine run then it is a fuel problem.

Don't know if ththat helped any. I would start by checking the injectors for proper volt and proper ohms. I will look up specs for you later, they may be in the book you have.

Chong

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i'm stationed in lil rock, ar but my home is in ba
how did your old fuel filter look? i had that same problem, but i was running through fuel filters like crazy, at about the 3rd one i drained the fuel from the tank and found some nasty gunk build up in there.. cleaned it out sprayed the lines to flush out and it was good as gold after a few miles of driving (flushing out the other fuel lines to the injectors).

hope that helped:Chevy:

marinekilz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chong good point, I assumed it was a good mechanic that changed the fuel filter when the pump got changed. But in reality it prolly wasn't

Chong

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i'm stationed in lil rock, ar but my home is in ba
thats cool glad you did your time.. i'm currently serving my term as an airmen in lil rock.. sucks but oh well wish i was over sea's in germany or england where i got some friends who are working hard but playing hard too..lol

well got some bad news.. looks like i wont be able to get my truck till next week.. my bank held my check for a week and i wont be able to get it on sat.. DAMN I'M SO PISSED

marinekilz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
should try to get to okinawa, butter station, pluys anything worth getting is worth waiting for. you will have your truck soon enough