Exhaust Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hoov99Tahoe

Reaction score
Hi there, I am new to these boards and had a question concerning my exhaust.

I own a 99 2 door tahoe sport with 58k miles and is in pretty great shape and just recently got my dual exhaust put on with 2 glasspacks. It sounds great just a little low. I was wondering what headers would do for me and if they would be a good purchase. I have heard some mixed reviews but would love to have some input from other owners or people with that know how.

Thank you!

Hoov99Tahoe

Reaction score
thanks, pretty basic there, I am thinking about going Edelbrock shorty headers. How does that sound or should i stick with something else?

Hoov99Tahoe

Reaction score
humm i will look into them, will it help with the over all sound of the engine while idling or no? Ive never put a set of headers on a tahoe or any vehicle for that matter and if anyone has any sound clips of their tahoes or trucks they could share please let me know.

Thanks!

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a great deal on a set of Gibson headers for my 96, but haven't had a chance to install them yet. Couldn't find any Edelbrocks locally that weren't way over priced. I'm not sure if it will change the tone of your exhaust when its idling, but it will provide better flow and a power boost as stated above.

Has anyone had any problems running duals on a 2door? it looks tight around the driver side shock and gas tank.

Hoov99Tahoe

Reaction score
I was told by the guy that ran my exhaust its a little difficult, it cost me 275 total to get mine run. Its true dual and the guy did a stand out job. I got 2.5 inch pipe running through then glasspacks into 4 inch chrome tips. Since its such a short way it isnt very loud, well mine isnt. But the sound over all is what I was looking for.

Btw I guess it depends where you live as well, because I am origionally from PA but am in Alabama for college baseball and its 5 times cheaper here then at home. At home a job I got done cost close to 1,000 dollars. But like I said down here I paid 275 and it was done in 4 hours.

Hope this helps

jwpotts0413

Full Access Member
Reaction score
glass packs

don't forget your glass packs will get louder as they blow out the fiberglass in them. also, u should use 3" pipe in and 3" pipe out for optimal flow, sound, and backpressure on a Chevy 350 in my humble opinion. use 2.5 and no muffler or cat for some gnarly loud, piercing, popping, obnoxious cherry bombs!! u can cause people pain as u pass them just by a flick of your right ankle, especially with side exit!! used to love to drive my friends old z71 with this setup. u could hear it coming from several blocks away

also, headers make it sound better and flow better, but on a budget they don't do enough to be worth the $300. not to mention the hassle of trying to install them. again, in my humble opinion

Hoov99Tahoe

Reaction score
So i am not too big on the popping, i like that muscle car rumble so to speak, and its got that kind of purr to it right now I was just looking into if there was a way to amplify that sound.

The guy that put my exhaust on told me with the 2 dr model its hard to get anything over 2.5 under there because of where the gas tank is and all the other equipment, i wanted 3' but he said it wouldnt fit, i do have 4 inch tips which look great. I just saw the other day that they have high performance cats? Whats the deal with those, are they more useful for people with heavy engine mods or are they fine for a slightly moded engine?

Thanks!

jwpotts0413

Full Access Member
Reaction score
catalytic converters

well thats bs b/c i fit 3" on my s10 and it was laying frame, but that is another discussion.

as far as cats go, cut those power robbing, sound muffling POS's off of your car so it will go faster and sound better. just weld in a piece of pipe in their place. or if u have inspection in your state then get some1 to weld a piece of pipe inside the cat so it looks legal when they look under the vehicle. if u live in california, move or get a car that was made before 1974.

also, if u cut the cat off your check engine light will most likely stay on, but who cares if your truck sounds bad a$$!

if you have a good exhaust guy he can put the correct o2 sensor in there to fool the ecm

random babbling:

i cut off the exhaust from the manifold back on my 4.3L v6 2 weeks after i bought it. i used 2.5" pipe from the manifold to a Y pipe then a 40 series flowmaster with 3" out. i had them curve it over the rear end like stock then cut off the tip to point at the ground. i loved it b/c when you were on a dusty unpaved road and rev up the motor it looks really cool. also, it improved the sound by echoing off the ground. last when u go thru deep puddles it keeps water from getting in the pipe and rusting out your system prematurely. o yea it looks cool too b/c your v6 sounds like a v8 and noone can see the exhaust. also, i needed the ground clearance b/c it layed frame. look on photobucket.com for jwpotts0413 for pics

for the best muscle car purr use 2.5" to a 40 series flowmaster with 3" exit

on a v6 use a muffler with 1 in 1 out
on a v8 use 2 mufflers each with 1 in 1 out

use dual mufflers and no cats if u have a v8. people will envy your rumble

contrary to popular belief, "true dual" exhaust (2 seperate pipes and 2 seperate mufflers) on a v6 sounds like dookie. if u want that v8 sound from your v6 use a single pipe! if u love the look of dual tips, make a fake dual exhaust and split the pipes after the muffler to keep the sound and the look.

Last edited:

zerominded

Full Access Member
Reaction score
along with everyone else, i would also recommend an intake with those headers and new exhaust. it'll help the truck breath more, which in increase the air flow, which, in turn, will increase it leaving your truck.

Crazydefense32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would recommend Gibson headers, I am looking into getting some myself, they are definately a better value than the Edelbrocks in my opinion. :Chevy:

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would recommend Gibson headers, I am looking into getting some myself, they are definately a better value than the Edelbrocks in my opinion. :Chevy:

i bought a set of Gibson's, but haven't had a chance to install them yet. i couldn't beat the price i got on them, especially with the Edelbrocks....

Crazydefense32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i bought a set of Gibson's, but haven't had a chance to install them yet. i couldn't beat the price i got on them, especially with the Edelbrocks....

Yea, the Edelbroks are ridiculously exspensive, and from what I've read the Gibsons work just as well. :Chevy:

jwpotts0413

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im partial to the sound and flow of the 40 series flowmaster. it also costs less than gibson i think. i'm hoping to redo the exhaust on my '97 2 door here soon. im gonna go with edelbrock headers, 2.5" pipes to the mufflers and 3" pipes from mufflers to the tips, no cats, dual 40 series flowmaster mufflers, and possibly a custom h or y pipe if i have the money. who needs a check-engine light any ways??

jwpotts0413

Full Access Member
Reaction score
headers are headers aren't they? i would think the summit racing brand for $160 should flow and sound just as good as the $400 jba cat4ward. the summit ones will just look rusty after a few months. which doesn't bother me cuz my whole damn truck is all rusty