ARGH! Now my headlights won't work.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hardwarz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ARGH! Now my headlights won't work. STATUS: FIXED

I'm about to do some troubleshooting, but I drove to the store and I had no headlights.

Start the car up, DRL come on. Turn it to the running light position, and it's working fine. Turn it to the on position, and the head lights go out! The running lights say lit. What gives? I ended up driving to the store with the running lights on and the DRL on.

What I have done over the last week was install a remote start. I tapped into the running lights, but not the head lights. When I took the dash face off, I did have problems with the plug for the light switch. I'll start there....

Hardwarz

Last edited:

Hardwarz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I rebuilt the switch. I tore it apart, cleaned the contacts, used di-electric grease on the contact points and put it back together.

This didn't help. As soon as I turn on the switch to the headlights on position, the DRL turn off and the headlights do not come on.

Under the dash is a relay, I pulled the relay and the DRL don't come on. That relay works 100%. I can't seem to find the relay for the headlights. I did not find a fuse for the headlights (by themselves), only for Lighting. Fuse is good, even tested it with a multimeter.

Tried to activate the high beams. They don't flicker on at all.

Ideas?

Hardwarz

Hardwarz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do the highs come on when you flash in the day time with no lights on., um are the lights burned out??

Highs do not come on when I flash with no lights. DRL come on when truck is started, so bulbs (at least low beams) are good.

Thanks for the reply.

Hardwarz

marinekilz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bad news.....looking at the diagram for the lights it seems your going to have to search for your problem. it could be many things. From the daytime running lights module, to the hi/low switch, to even the light switch. with just afew readings you should be able to narrow down what is wrong.

http://www.4shared.com/file/27340373/716216cc/Daytime_running_lights_diagram.html

That relay you say is working is two sided. So you know the power to the control side of it is working, but is the at rest side of the relay working?? Just swap it out with another one real quick.

Hardwarz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is this a 99 or below where the lows are also DRL's or is this a new one with seperate drls.
99 and older with DRL the same as Lows.

Bad news.....looking at the diagram for the lights it seems your going to have to search for your problem. it could be many things. From the daytime running lights module, to the hi/low switch, to even the light switch. with just afew readings you should be able to narrow down what is wrong.

http://www.4shared.com/file/27340373/716216cc/Daytime_running_lights_diagram.html

That relay you say is working is two sided. So you know the power to the control side of it is working, but is the at rest side of the relay working?? Just swap it out with another one real quick.

I'll try swapping out the relay. I take it that this is not a normal problem?

BTW, I couldn't view the link.

Thanks for the help.... again.

Hardwarz

marinekilz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the link is to Download the file then you will be able to view it, I just tested it and it works fine.
Now the DRL Relay bypasses the light switch and high/low switch sending power straight to the low beams. Test pin 87A on the DRL relay and see if you have voltage when the headlight switch is on. Then if you do, jump pin 30 and pin 87a of the relay (this will bypass the DRL module) If your light work then the DRL module isn't shutting off the relay when it reads power from the light switch.
Let me know it that worked or any questions

Hardwarz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now the DRL Relay bypasses the light switch and high/low switch sending power straight to the low beams. Test pin 87A on the DRL relay and see if you have voltage when the headlight switch is on.
I just tested this, I have zero volts with headlight on at in 87a. I tested the relay, the coil is activating and working 100%. Just to be sure, I changed out the relay. Same thing.

With that in mind, am I looking at the High/low switch? If so, could I have unplugged something when I was connecting the Passlock 2 Bypass module? the remote start works 100%, I don't think anything came unplugged, but I can't be 100% positive.

Thanks for all the help.

Hardwarz

Whipple1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im not sure what year your truck is, but I have an 02 and if you press the dome light button twice rapidly the low beams turn off with the interior lights,maybe you activated this,well just another thought,Good Luck!

Hardwarz

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Thanks for all the help. Turns out it was 100% my fault.

I put in a T harness for the remote start. Apparently, the T harness was putting stress on the wires. I found this out when I took the column apart for the 3rd time. This time I had the headlight switch to ON. As I tilted the column up, the high beams came on. I flipped the LO/HIGH and the lows did not come on. I tilted the column and the lights came on. Once I determined that it was the T harness putting stress on the wires, I cut the wireties that I had holding it and retied it in place where it wasn't causing problems.

Technically, I could take the T harness off and actually solder directly to the factory harness. I just don't like messing with factory wiring. I guess if I continue to have problems, I'll have to do this.

Thanks for all the help.

Hardwarz

marinekilz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry I was gone all weekend like I usaully am, but I am glad you found the problem and fixed it. for the link, you click on the link, then let the page load fully (takes some time mattering on your connection) the click the download button that is under the upload button. let me know if you can get it so if there is a problem with how I link stuff I can change it so everyone can get what I link

Hardwarz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's the wiring diagram that I used. Generic, w/o foglights.

scan4iq1.png

Hardwarz

marinekilz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well that works, has the same sh_it mine did. I just was wondering about you not being able to download the file the link sent you to that I posted, because if you can't other can't as well and I will try to upload the files in a different manner so everyone can download what I am posting without a problem.

Hardwarz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well that works, has the same sh_it mine did. I just was wondering about you not being able to download the file the link sent you to that I posted, because if you can't other can't as well and I will try to upload the files in a different manner so everyone can download what I am posting without a problem.

After you said, click the download button, I was able to view it. Thanks for all the help.

Hardwarz

Hardwarz

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Thanks for all the help. Turns out it was 100% my fault.

I put in a T harness for the remote start. Apparently, the T harness was putting stress on the wires. I found this out when I took the column apart for the 3rd time. This time I had the headlight switch to ON. As I tilted the column up, the high beams came on. I flipped the LO/HIGH and the lows did not come on. I tilted the column and the lights came on. Once I determined that it was the T harness putting stress on the wires, I cut the wireties that I had holding it and retied it in place where it wasn't causing problems.

Technically, I could take the T harness off and actually solder directly to the factory harness. I just don't like messing with factory wiring. I guess if I continue to have problems, I'll have to do this.

Thanks for all the help.

Hardwarz

UPDATE

Troubles started again. Messed with the T Harness again. Lights came on. A week later, same problem. What gives? So this morning, before work, I looked at it again. I was beginning to think that the T Harness that I got off eBay was bad. I messed with the wiring harness and lights came on. Finally found out, the problem is 100% my own fault. The GM1 harness has a bolt in the center of the molex plug that secure the harness to the factory harness. This bolt was not tight. This caused the bolt to hold the factory and the T Harness together, but apart. Tighting the bolt brought the 2 plugs together. This is 100% my mistake because I thought this was tight.

I hope this helps someone else out.

Hardwarz