how do you turn the torsion bars?????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dannyboy760

Reaction score
i just got a 99 tahoe LS 4dr 4x4 some friends of mine told me i can turn the torsion bars and and it will lift the front like 2 or 3 inches is this true?and if so how do you do it?you need speical tools? please help iam new to the suv world and dont know that much about lifts thanx :confused:

jwpotts0413

Full Access Member
Reaction score
good info at that sight mightymouse.

lifting the torsion bars can give you up to about 2.5" of lift.

all you need to do it is a socket wrench and 5 minutes.

to lift the torsion bars look under the vehicle by the framerails towards the front of the truck on either side of the tranny should be 2 bolts to adjust the torsion bars. tighten to go up, loosen to go down. think its a 15mm. don't count on that, hope this helps

keep in mind that you must turn them the same amount of rotations to keep it level left to right, and most importantly every crank on the torsion bars up or down throws your front end alignment further out of whack. do it to much and your tires will lean and wear out uneven. BE SURE TO GET YOUR ALIGNMENT DONE AFTER YOU GET IT TO THE PROPER HEIGHT AND RIDE STIFFNESS. this may take several trial turns then test drive. a muffler store should be able to realign the front end for around $40-$80 at whatever height you select as long as your ball joints are still in good shape. (you better hope they are cuz it is an 8hr job to change them out on 4x4 old body style chevy/gmc, ive heard people quote anywhere from $400-800 to change all four ball joints!) they are a pain b/c the OEM ball joints are permanently attached to the vehicle and must be drilled out to mount the replacement bolt in upper ball joints. another idiot move by the engineers at General Motors.