Check Engine Light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gleason

Reaction score
Just bought a 2000 Tahoe which has the 5.7 with 104k on the car. (I'm assuming that its and early 00/late 99). Everything seems to run fine on the truck, but last night the check engine light (pix of engine on left side of dash) came on. Oil pressure, temp, fluids, belt all look fine. I didn't get the owners manual with the truck so I guess I'm trying to figure out what triggers that light. I know that it passed Virginia emissions about 6 months ago, but I don't know if this is like some cars where the light comes on after it rolls up so many miles and can simply be reset.

Anyone got any ideas on what to check? If all my gauges are showing everythings OK and runs fine, is this a serious problem? Just went back to GM after 5-6 years of Mopar and not quite sure what to read into this light.

bparker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best thing to do is take to a place that can look up the error code in the PCM and then look it up to see what sensor is throwing the code/check engine light.

Could be anything from a knock sensor to an exhaust sensor...

diehrd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Auto Zone or Advanced will scan it for free,,I happen to have bought a decint scanner on sale from them for like 79 bucks..I know it has saved me money on my stuff and families by knowing what codes are there before it goes in for service :)

Hawstly

Site Admin
Reaction score
yes they are invaluable to have because - most shops charge you just to diag the problem which most just look up the code. Just taking it in twice will pay for having your own in the garage.

Here is one I think is cool because you can use it for many other reasons other than just for diag problems.

http://www.scangauge.com/features/

scarpi

Reaction score
I had a great experience with my 02 Yukon's check engine light. We were on vacation and on our way to Washington state. We were about 100 miles south of Boise Idaho on the interstate. Nothing around for miles and the Check Engine light starts flashing while I'm doing about 65 mph. The vehicle only had about 23,000 miles on it at the time. It was running ok on the interstate and there was nowhere to stop at so I kept driving to Boise (about 100 miles) with the light flashing. When I got to Boise the engine starts to idle poorly at stoplights. Late in the day, I get it to a GM dealer and they said they would check it out the next day. They give me a ride to a hotel and the next day they tell me the fuel injectors were plugged and one had to be replaced. They also told me that my 3 year/36,000 mile warranty ended eight days ago. I tell them to fix it because we were stranded and on vacation. They repair it and then they hand me a bill for about $973. I laughed and told them that was ridiculous. The service manager cut the bill to about $790. When I got home I contacted GM and they would only reimburse me for the cost of the one replaced fuel injector part. I always use name brand gas and the vehicle never had a problem like this. So how does a Yukon with 23,000 miles on it get fouled fuel injectors? The fuel filter was also replaced at 23,000 when they fixed the fuel injectors. GM only requires that the fuel filter be replaced at 30,000. I religiously maintain my Yukon and keep good records of all its' maintenance. Weird huh? :(

scarpi

Reaction score
As far as I know there was no recall, but it sure was a disappointment that my Yukon at 23,000 miles had such an expensive repair related to fuel injectors. Now every six months I dump in a can of Techron in the gas to try and keep the fuel injectors and fuel system clean. I've heard that that stuff is the best you should use. I always use brand name gas. I don't buy my gas at convinience stores. Since the repair I buy gas at Quicktrip stations which GM recommends. Previous to the repair I was using Arco gas although I don't know if Arco gas caused the problem. I always use 87 octane unleaded in my 5.3L engine. So I don't know exactly why all my injectors got plugged and what the heck was my fuel filter doing? You'd think that the fuel filter might have prevented some of the problem. ???? :confused: