My brakes keep locking up!!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

00'hoe

Reaction score
yea,
i live in charlotte and as some of you know, we have had a pretty bad drought, well for the first time in like 5 months we have had a good amount of consistant rain for the past 3 days.
My truck is pushin 400 horses and a little tap on the gas spins my tires like no tomorrow in the rain.
After burnin out a couple times, around 30-40 ft each, when i stop after one, and go again, i hear this really big clunking noise, and the truck is really workin hard to move, the noise is commin from the left rear of the truck, but i dont know if my ABS is working correctly, or if my drive shaft is about to drop
haha

Any feedback would be awesome

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you sound close to me, im in va beach, and we are so happy for the rain, yes its rained for the last three days, um, my old 99 did that, i took a look at it and found that the brake WAS not coming off right, i had a carmax warrenty i didnt want to void even though im ASE, but just to be sure i took it to them, they put new breaks and a new abs control (or somthing cant remember the exact part), but the tires spinning probably means your leaning a little heavy on the peddle there with bald tires, switch to auto 4wd (if you have 4wd) and give it a try.

marinekilz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you tires aren't good for rain and such ABS will not work. ABS never works on ice, sometimes not when the road is covered in water and not on snow covered roads. The noise is something else besides the brakes

johnebgoode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not trying to get into a pissin match here, but all the GM trucks I have owned with ABS, have always worked in the conditions stated,(ice, heavy rain & snow covered roads). That feature saved my butt and the nose of my truck many times. I have thanked the GM engineers many times,(under my breath), for the ABS system.
Personally I might drop the rear diff cover and take a close look. Worse case scenario is you change the fluid if nothing is wrong. Take a look at rear calipers to make sure they are releasing properly after a spirited drive. Make sure the pistons arent freezing or leaking after a certain amount of movement. Check the E Brake for function also.
You'll need two people for this, dont let the pistons expand too far or you'll pop them out. Calipers should be off the rotors for a close inspection. If you're not sure how to perform these tasks dont fool around with it....bite the bullet and take it to a mech.

Mike97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you tires aren't good for rain and such ABS will not work. ABS never works on ice, sometimes not when the road is covered in water and not on snow covered roads. The noise is something else besides the brakes

Actually, ABS is ideal for ice and snow and other low traction conditions. I have to agree with johnebgoode on this one. I have owned several different vehicles, and living in the Pacific Northwest, we get a lot of snow and ice conditions. ABS has kept me out of trouble on several occasions, and I'm glad to have it with such a heavy vehicle.

marinekilz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would agree I have had abs work in bad conditions, but I have also have it not work. What I have read about them is they aren't guaranted to work in no trackion conditions (ie snow or ice or water covered roads)

Mike97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Technically, nothing will work in no traction conditions, lol. But ABS is currently the best thing out there when it comes to stopping in low traction conditions.