Rear gear change?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bounty Hunter

Reaction score
I have a 2003 Yukon with 5.3L, 2wd, with 3.73 rear gears.
I was wondering if 3.73's are normal. I was thinking about going to 3.42 range. This would help with mileage, but I am afraid the get up and go would be gone. Anybody done this swap? Thanks

diehrd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could also just change tire size to affect rear ratio..BUT I suspect daily driving would suffer for gas mileage..

I get about 15.2 to 15.6 mixed driving...BUT I do drive posted limits or close to them and just that alone helps MPG a lot..

Bounty Hunter

Reaction score
20's already

Forgot to mention we have 20's on it already.
We average about 14.3 daily and 15.6-16 hwy.
I just feel we can get better mileage. Do have the K&N FIPK kit no programmers though. With the 5.3 it doesn't have set you back in the seat power, so I would like better mileage.

When I can hook up to my 32'TT and run 80mph w/ my 1ton Dodge and still get 18 mpg this turd oughta do better. Just my opinion though.

diehrd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get a custom tune designed for gas mileage.

Bounty Hunter

Reaction score
Custom tune?

Unfamiliar with a custom tune. How do I go about getting one of them? Thanks

diehrd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look up wait4meperformance .. he does custom tunes ,,Tell him this guy (Copy and paste) [email protected] , referred you..

Oh here is a link to his site
http://www.wait4meperformance.com/

My suggestion is to BUY a complete PCM..Then you will have 2 , the one from the factory and the new tuned one from him..Last truck i had was a 97 2dr Tahoe with the 5.7 i paid 185.00 for the pcm tuned .