Engine Knock till warm? WTH?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

since 1964

Reaction score
I've been told since about 36M miles that these 5.3's just have poor oil circulation when cold and to ignore my knocking, ticking etc., until warm.
Well it's always knocking now just quieter when warm. Can I do anything?

Yuzilla

Reaction score
It sounds like the classic 5.3 piston slap. Very common in the engine. From what I understand, there isnt much you can do about it.

Nappers

Full Access Member
Reaction score
piston slap.....

I run Mobil 1 with Napa Gold/Wix filters, no more piston slap. 120,000+ miles on the clock

Yuzilla

Reaction score
I wonder if Mobile 1 will help with the constant knock noted in this thread? Either way, I am thinking about switching mine to Mobile 1 in the future because at 85k, I have now developed Piston Slap.

Nappers

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had it when we bought the Yukon with 67,000 miles, switched to Mobil 1, no more piston slap. Only time it rears it's ugly head is towards the tail end of the 5000 mile change to remind me it's close. Car runs great with 122,000+ miles on the clock.

Give it a whirl, don't worry, the first change the oil will be DIRTY, it's doing it's job, cleaning your engine.

I also Seafoam bout every season, don't hurt seems to run good after doing it and do it when I change the oil as most say to change oil after a seafoam. I also clean the MAF and spray down the intake.

L8R

Aaron

since 1964

Reaction score
I've been running Mobil I since 8000 miles and it's probably saving me. There was a big explanation written to me from a GM tech of another forum but I lost it, and I am still trying to find it. When I do I'll post it.

greengumby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been told since about 36M miles that these 5.3's just have poor oil circulation when cold and to ignore my knocking, ticking etc., until warm.
Well it's always knocking now just quieter when warm. Can I do anything?

see to make sure ur plugs are tight i had this exact problem and dealer found 2 plugs loose and the knocking went bye bye

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
see to make sure ur plugs are tight i had this exact problem and dealer found 2 plugs loose and the knocking went bye bye

Same thing on my wife's car. She said she noticed a ticking noise and felt like it lost some power. I started it up, listened, and went straight to the plugs. I found a loose spark plug, tightened her up and no more ticking.

Anyway, you can also try some heavier weight oil to lessen the noise from the lifters and rotating assembly. But at start-up, the thicker oil will take longer to start circulating. Synthetic will probably be better because it will stick to the cylinder walls and piston rings a little better for your next start-up. Try what the rest of these guys have been saying about using Mobil 1. Also look into Royal Purple and Amsoil.