98 thahoe ignition problem?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98tahoe4x4

Reaction score
I have a 1998 two door tahoe with the 5.7. The problem that i am having is that once and a while i will go to start it and it will start fine but out of no where it dies. It seems to happen when i put it in drive or reverse. The dash lights die and if you try to start it it wont do anything. It seems to lose all power. I have noticed that if you hit the lock or unlock button on remote it seems to bring back power. Not every time, i dont know if it was just a freak thing or what. Would the door jam switch cause this problem, because i no i need to replace the one on the drivers side. What about the ignition switch?

johnebgoode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There could be a multitude of possibilities here. If ya can, try to have it scanned to see if there are any stored codes. Electrical problems can be a real PIA.
Start with the basics and make sure your battery and alternator connections are good and free from corrosion. Tak a look where the harness connects through the firewall. Check for any breaks in insulation. Maybe there is a break somewhere and when you drive it it's shorting out from vibration. These are just guesses...............Get it into a qualified mech, before you find yourself calling a flatbed to get it home. Hope you find the problem pal.......