painting drums

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chong

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i'm stationed in lil rock, ar but my home is in ba
has anyone here done this. today i saw a car that had their drums painted silver and it did not look bad at all. i was wondering what kind of paint to use and how the hell am i supposed to get all that damn rust off LOL. any feed back would be awesome

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
someone can chime in and correct me if im wrong, since i've never done this first hand,

but you should be able to take a wire brush or course sand paper to take the majority of the rust off, use a spray on rust reformer to make it a paintable surface, and then coat with whatever color high temp or brake caliper paint you wish to use.

that or you could use new drums or have yours blasted to get a better adhesion of the paint.

Mike97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could also try a drill with a wire wheel. Don't forget your eye protection though. Safety first.:yesnod: Good luck, hope it turns out how you like it.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
I use phosphoric acid to take off rust. I have a spray bottle with acid that I use to spray over any rust. Let it sit for a few minutes till it dries, and the rust can easily be brushed off with very little elbow grease. You can usually get this at places like Home Depot, Lowe's, Scotty's, etc.
And use some good high temp paint. Dupli-color makes high temp engine enamel spray paint, as well as high temp paint for brake hardware. But if you can, powder coating is another alternative to painting. The finish is a lot more durable than spray paint.