Anyone build their own hatch mounted sub enclosure?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hardwarz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 12" JBL subwoofer. This was pulled from my old 1994 Intrepid 3.5l. Problem is the single enclosure is HUGE! Forget about running two 12"!!

I was looking around for stealth type enclosures and came across the Q logic enclosure that mounts to the rear split door. Colored for your vehicle and it fit's a 10". The price (per side) is out of my budget.

338.jpg

I was thinking, I could make that out of MDF. I'd give the top a 30* down slope, round over the forward edge. I'd also fiberglass over it to give it a slightly better shape and to reinforce the whole structure. Then I'd either paint it or glue vinyl to the outside. I'd even think of recessing the speaker flush so that it'll have a cleaner look.

Problem is... what would you think is the best way to mount it? Anyone got any ideas?

Hardwarz

Hardwarz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct, I haul a lot of tools almost all the time and stuff for my kids. I can't sacrifice the space.

Hardwarz

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
On the last one I did like that, I built a frame over the bottom half of the trim for the sub, 'glassed it and finished it with factory matching vinyl. Behind the trim on the door itself, I welded a bracket so I had a place that I could actually bolt the back side of the enclosure to once the rest of the panel was snapped back in place. This way the sub enclosure area of the panel is securely mounted to the door with minimal flex and vibration. It would also be a good idea to Dynamat the door as well while you are doing this.