Hi everyone...got a question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Truck74

Reaction score
I have a 99 Denali and having some problems.

1. When i start the truck the headlights auto come on, all the time no matter how much sunshine. DRL's do not come on...niether does the DRL light on the panel. Is it a relay or what? If so, where is this relay?

2. When i stop at a light or sign....then go to take off i get a clunk thud type noise feeling from the rear and a chirp sound. Only when i take off. What is that and how to i fix it?

This site is pretty cool, went to a GMC site and there wasnt much activity on it at all. Any help would be nice, thankssssss

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i dont have any help for no 2 but nomber one sounds like a sentinal problem, there is a little EYE right in the middle of the dash, that may be blocked or you need a new one. sorry i cant offer more help, experts should have posted by now.

Redwood

Reaction score
here's some ideas

First off, the clunk...it may be a dry slip yoke on the driveshaft, easy for you to make alignment marks, drop it down, clean it out and grease it up real good, and be ready for a few drops of ATF to leak out when you pull it....the CHIRP has me worried though...now I'm thinking u joints. But, do the ez thing first, grease the slip yoke. If all is well, your done. If the chirp keeps on, could be u joints. Does this vehicle have over size wheels and tires? If so, I'm really thinking u joints!!!!
Good luck,
Redwood

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Your DRLs may not be coming on because your Auto feature keeps the headlights on. When headlights are on, the drls go off. You could have a problem with the lighting module or just the photoresistor (light sensor).
As for the clunking, check the slip yoke like mentioned above. Also check how much play you have in the driveshaft and axle. Check U-joints and trans mount.

Hardwarz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my 99 Tahoe, my DRL are my low beams. With that said, maybe your DRL indicator is bad?

scan4iq1.png

Hope this helps.

Hardwarz

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have the same chirp and clunk on my 99 denali. It seems to only happen after a rapid decel ( to stop at a light that just changed, for example) when I took it in to the dealership at about 60K or so, they said "all the denalis have that sound" i now have 112K on it and thise sound is still there, but have had no other ill effects from it.

chevyrider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did anyone ever have an exact answer to this question with the rear end "clunk" ? I have had the same problem and now it is making a chirping sound as mentioned before. I will be bringing it in, but wondered if anyone had an answer, because it seems to have gotten worse.

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After reading threads here, many of us have had this problem.
Look around for slip yoke. Apparantly that is what makes the sound. I havent noticed mine much lately, but the windows have been up.

redhat-z

Reaction score
Mine was a dry slip yoke. I pulled the driveshaft out, greased the inside of the yoke and the splines on the mainshaft of the transfer case. It did go away. 700 miles later and its starting to come back. I believe that the tolerances in the design of the yoke are not tight enough. I am shopping around for an aftermarket yoke the may work better. Otherwise, I will probably just grease the yoke at every oil change.

chevyrider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine was a dry slip yoke. I pulled the driveshaft out, greased the inside of the yoke and the splines on the mainshaft of the transfer case. It did go away. 700 miles later and its starting to come back. I believe that the tolerances in the design of the yoke are not tight enough. I am shopping around for an aftermarket yoke the may work better. Otherwise, I will probably just grease the yoke at every oil change.

Did this get rid of the chirping noise or the clunk ? or both ?

redhat-z

Reaction score
This got rid of the clunk or binding noise when the truck settled at a stop. I also changed a bad u-joint a few weeks back.This got rid of a deep clunk on take off and horrible vibration at highway speeds.