Steering issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Red Sox Tahoe

Reaction score
I am and have had for a while now, an issue with my steering in my '99 tahoe. While driving, no matter what speed, there is a "dead" spot in the steering wheel. It is about the 11-12 o'clock position and it is the same spot only varying on different terrains. It will go from straight to shift slightly to the left but minimal enough I don't know how serious this is and was curious if anyone knows what could cause this? I spoke with an auto-salvage guy who had heard of this issue involving some form of speed sensitive steering issue? Does anyone know what causes this or what I am dealing with inside the steering components that could maybe cause this? Any help would be greatly appriciated! Thank you!

Redwood

Reaction score
steering problem

It very well could be the steering shaft sensor. Cost about 60 bucks, takes about an hour to change. You can do it yourself if you can lay on your back on the floorboard and reach up under the dash area. Personally, I can still do this, but it is not as much fun as when I was 18. haha. The wire connector is about 6 inches long and is covered in some foam that you have to peel away. Search this forum and go-oogle for some complete instructions. Good luck. That's where I found them.
Redwood

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
You can unplug the Steering Wheel Speed Sensor or the EVO unit under the column and drive it down the street to see if the problem is still the same or not. The EVO/steering wheel speed sensor system varies steering firmness depending on speed of the vehicle. But it sounds like worn steering components. Check for excessive play in the tie rods, pitman arms, idler arm, etc.

botomgun

Reaction score
I have read a few of these steering related topics (because I have the same problem with loose steering) but nobody has mentioned the steering gear. Is this not a component that should also be checked or is it that it is the most expensive of the repairs?

Also, if the EVO/steering wheel sensor system is at fault, would I experience the play inteh wheel when the vehicle is not running? I have visually verified that the steering components up to the steering gear all move when I turn the wheel back and forth, but have not seen any movement downstream of that. This leads me to believe that the gear is the problem. Does anybody have any experience in rebuilding/replaceing the software in the gear?

Slammed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
could be loose why dont you get under there and have sombody turn the wheel BUT WATCH YOUR FINGERS