Considering Buying Tahoe/Yukon.... wise?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sugardaddy

Reaction score
I'm 6'5" and rather uncomfortable in our little Honda Accord. We were thinking of a larger vehicle, even though gas costs would be higher.

I've been monitoring CraigsList and it looks like we could afford a '98 or '99 model with about 100K miles on it.

But is that going to be a reliable vehicle?
Or are we going to be regularly visiting the mechanic?

Of course, it depends on if the owner maintained it well, but I'm just looking for generalities here.

LAP TOP GAMER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
flying somewhare in VATSIM&Delta virtual airlines
Buying a used vehicle is always a gamble as you should always have the vehicle thoroughly checked out. With that said GM trucks are pretty durable and reliable and pretty hard to go wrong in getting one, just don't get one that has been abused and you should be ok.

sugardaddy

Reaction score
I guess this also begs the question: How long (in miles) is the useful life of a '99 model year Tahoe?

In other words, when does the repair cost make you think of getting rid of it?

P.S. Thanks for the reply LTG!

sugardaddy

Reaction score
May I also ask what the difference in MPG is between the 4x2 and 4x4 versions?

marinekilz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mileage has little to do with these trucks. It is more for the abuse the truck has received. I have seen truck abused totally and fall apart at 50k and seen these truck properly taking care of and last well past 200k.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea at 100k there bairly broken in. i had at k5 blazer a 1987 and i drove it like hell i mean i tore up that truck IT TOOK A BEATING, but i drove it to about 350k miles before i needed to replace the engine and tranny. but it had a new engine and tranny put in at 75k.

sugardaddy

Reaction score
I would say 2 to 3 MPG difference not that much, but you really don't buy one for mileage, I bought mine for room comfort and safety.
Yeah, comfort and room may be our biggest criteria. Safety is a nice one too.

We get out for weekend trips and long drives more often than most people, and I'm tired of curling up like an embryo just so I can get into my car.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im 6 1 or 6' 2" i cant remember, and i feel very confortable, my dad is 6' 4" and is also very comfortable in the yukon, even in the back, but with captains chairs.

marinekilz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My first was a 87 surburan 3500 that I got at 210k out of a guys yard for $50. Rusted to all hell, but put a new battery it started right up. Patched the three fuel line leaks with rubber lines since they rusted out. Drove that truck till about 360k with no trouble but changed the starter. Stop driving it cause the front brake lines rusted out. Now the drivetrain and suspension is in my friends k5 2dr blazer that is only used for mudding and offroading. Got me hooked on GM trucks young

sugardaddy

Reaction score
As far as ergonomics goes, my torso is actually equivalent to maybe a 6'9" guy or so (I'm a tad disproportionate).

I usually find that the captain-style chairs are worse than the bench seats because they try to contour the seats at the top to come back up and give folks neck support. Well, where a shorty's neck is, is where my shoulder blades are. So that kind of contouring throws me forward in a slump. Very uncomfortable. So many cars and trucks have seats that do this.

However, we sat in a Tahoe bench seat once that was great because it was lower, and didn't curve foward at my shoulder level.

However, if the captain-style don't curve forward much at the top, it could be that they are okay.

I'll have to sit in a few to check it out.

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i'm 6'4", and have no problem with the seats in my tahoe (96) they don't contour per-say like some car or small SUV seats do. mine has the power driver seat that you can adjust anyway you like. up, down, tilt, lumbar support, etc etc. they are MUCH better than the seats in my 95 tracker...

on the mileage, i looked at/test drove several tahoe/yukon's with anywhere to 70,000-195,000 miles on them. if they weren't trashed by the previous owners you couldn't tell a difference. mine has 163,500 miles on it, I expect to get another good 50,000 miles out of it before dropping in a crate motor and tranny

kastiron

Reaction score
6'2" here, and a cheeseburger over 300lbs. :D

My 99 Tahoe has survived 173k miles thus far, I bought it with 19k on the ticker. I plan on letting my kids drive it. (ages 5, 3, and 2 currently)

Just had another tune up done to it. Now have restored the Mpg back to the 17-19 range. I try to limit the right foot pressure when I can.

When I bought the truck, I put a K&N million mile air filter in it. That is the only performance mod I have done, if you can count that. Regular maintenance is the key factor. Hoping to need to replace that K&N someday due to wearing it out!

Hope that helps.

Biggwaukegan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
97 Tahoe owner here. Im 6'1 and my brother is 6'4. Not one problem with space in the tahoe with both of us and a few friends in it. Plenty of leg room and what else would you want to be in if your in a accident? A honda or this...better yet if a a honda hit a tahoe what would you rather be in? ha ha.. My point exactly. Take the hit on the gas mileage and enjoy one of the best suvs god ever made.

KJLegend

Reaction score
6'5" here and I drive an Acura, basically a Honda...I like the gas mileage and maneuverability I get with my Acura Legend but I really want something bigger so I can just jump in a drive off and do whatever in, plus I live in WI where it snows a lot, and I snowboard on top of that so I can put my stuff in the back and all. I am looking for my first Tahoe soon here hopefully. Just thought I'd add my 2 cents.