Sqeak in Reverse ('02 Yukon XL)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07radoman

Reaction score
Greetings all,
My '02 Yukon XL sqeaks when in reverse gear. The problem does not happen when in drive, or when you are in neutral rolling backwards. It only happens in gear and in reverse. I have heard this could be u-joints or brake, but assume if brakes were invovled I would hear it when the vehicle was rolling irrespective of whether it was in reverse or not?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks - MIke

Last edited:

Duster

Reaction score
"Greetings all,
My '02 Yukon XL sqeaks when in reverse gear. The problem does not happen when in drive, or when you are in neutral rolling backwards. It only happens in gear and in reverse. I have heard this could be u-joints or brake, but assume if brakes were invovled I would hear it when the vehicle was rolling irrespective of whether it was in reverse or not?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks - MIke"

Had exactly same problem, took it to the shop. They told me U-joint, had it replaced and the sqeak was gone. And also i was told if i don't change it right away it might lock up. But that could be just a mechanic's trick.

07radoman

Reaction score
Amazing that they could go out so quickly, but such is life. Getting quotes at ~$400. I am in the wrong business!

Thanks for the response!

unlukky

Reaction score
Definitely U-joint problems for you guys.
Change them out yourself, really easy. :thumbsup:

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buy some dana spicers and install them yourself, it's as easy as changing plugs.