does a double din dvd fit 04 tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

frankie_j

Reaction score
on crutchfeild.com it was sayin that my kenwood ddx 6.5 inch in dash dvd player wont fit my 04 z71, has anybody made this install

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
I've fit 03-up GM trucks with DD. I did a AVIC D3 in on 05 a couple days ago and another DD Avic in an 03. And I know GM didn't change the radio/dash/etc just for 04. The Kenwood may not mount directly without fabbing up some brackets, but the DD size will fit nicely in the dash opening.

brdnboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The reason crutchfield shows this incompatibility for for our vehicles and double dins is because there is a plastic bracket in the back of the radio opening that needs to be trimmed a little to accommodate aftermarket double dins. As JK said DD units fit perfectly and look great.

frankie_j

Reaction score
thanks

thanks guys im new to forums and had my tahoe 1 year so you guys have been lots of help, its nice to know you guys stick together

CeboTahoe

Reaction score
New to the forum too. This is the reason i looked for a tahoe forum. I have a 2000 LT tahoe 4x4. and i have been wanting to put a double din DVD player in it. but was wondering if it would fit and wanted to see some pics of examples. any pics?...

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
New to the forum too. This is the reason i looked for a tahoe forum. I have a 2000 LT tahoe 4x4. and i have been wanting to put a double din DVD player in it. but was wondering if it would fit and wanted to see some pics of examples. any pics?...

Welcome! Only 03-up models had double din provisions. But with some trimming and bracket fab'ing, you can get a double din into the earlier models. I attached a pic of a double din Kenwood unit I installed for a friend of mine in his 01 Chevy.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Pic didn't upload. Let's try again...
55707e6c.jpg

CeboTahoe

Reaction score
yeah!, that looks about right. That is what i want to do. I will go down and talk to the stereo shop and see if he can make it happen.

*Bye the way, i noticed many of the double din Dvd players arent satelite ready. I want to be able to by a deck that can play satelite radio with out anymore hardware, just a subscription to sirius. any thoughts?...

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
yeah!, that looks about right. That is what i want to do. I will go down and talk to the stereo shop and see if he can make it happen.

*Bye the way, i noticed many of the double din Dvd players arent satelite ready. I want to be able to by a deck that can play satelite radio with out anymore hardware, just a subscription to sirius. any thoughts?...

You will have to add a satellite tuner, which you should be able to pick up for under $100.

bzbatl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome! Only 03-up models had double din provisions. But with some trimming and bracket fab'ing, you can get a double din into the earlier models. I attached a pic of a double din Kenwood unit I installed for a friend of mine in his 01 Chevy.

JK - did you have to fab some plastic to go around the sides? Isn't the stock trim just a little wider than DIN?

Hard to tell in the pic. I'm looking to put in a DD 7" DVD/Bluetooth head unit.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
JK - did you have to fab some plastic to go around the sides? Isn't the stock trim just a little wider than DIN?

Hard to tell in the pic. I'm looking to put in a DD 7" DVD/Bluetooth head unit.

Sorry about the pic; it is hard to tell. But I did have to make a trim piece to go around the sides of the unit. The opening side to side is wider than a standard DD.

Brandon6127

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That pic looks great. I have a 99 Tahoe LT 4x4 and i am looking to get a double din stereo as well. I have found many i like just none to the size i need. I dont like the look of those motorized ones when the screen isnt out. Also i hear they have lots of problems with the motors goin out and stuff. Any help on how i can fit one. 3.93 is the common height of the stereos i am finding and im finding out that i have about 3.75 at max without moving heater controls. Done some research but im kinda stuck...any help?
http://www.primecaraudio.com/servlet/.1649180c/the-243/Eonon-E0675-Touch-Screen/Detail
This is what im looking at basically.

Lente

Reaction score
Hello Jk new to forum was wondering Jk what kind of bracket did you use to hold the deck in the dash of pre 03 tahoes. I have been looking to do this but I dont know which way to go on brackets get a 03 and modify it or what thanks.
Corey

energ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did you have to lower the heater controls?

what did you have to trim? i'm gonna be doing this soon i need to be prepared...

p_mcnaught

Reaction score
That pic looks great. I have a 99 Tahoe LT 4x4 and i am looking to get a double din stereo as well. I have found many i like just none to the size i need. I dont like the look of those motorized ones when the screen isnt out. Also i hear they have lots of problems with the motors goin out and stuff. Any help on how i can fit one. 3.93 is the common height of the stereos i am finding and im finding out that i have about 3.75 at max without moving heater controls. Done some research but im kinda stuck...any help?
http://www.primecaraudio.com/servlet/.1649180c/the-243/Eonon-E0675-Touch-Screen/Detail
This is what im looking at basically.

That deck kinda looks like the Eclipse decks.

jclay5

Reaction score
Pioneer Avic Z2 in 2002 tahoe

Pic didn't upload. Let's try again...
55707e6c.jpg

JK,

Its good to see some people have been able to put double dins into the pre 03 Tahoe's. I have just bought a pioneer avic Z2 thinking my Tahoe had a double din.

Most local radio shops say they wont attempt to modify my dash, but I have found one that will do it, but they want to move my HVAC controls down to the middle console. I would really like to squeeze this thing in without doing that. Do you think it can be done? If not then looks like the HVAC controls will be going down b/c I really like the Z2

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Hello Jk new to forum was wondering Jk what kind of bracket did you use to hold the deck in the dash of pre 03 tahoes. I have been looking to do this but I dont know which way to go on brackets get a 03 and modify it or what thanks.
Corey

did you have to lower the heater controls?

what did you have to trim? i'm gonna be doing this soon i need to be prepared...

JK,

Its good to see some people have been able to put double dins into the pre 03 Tahoe's. I have just bought a pioneer avic Z2 thinking my Tahoe had a double din.

Most local radio shops say they wont attempt to modify my dash, but I have found one that will do it, but they want to move my HVAC controls down to the middle console. I would really like to squeeze this thing in without doing that. Do you think it can be done? If not then looks like the HVAC controls will be going down b/c I really like the Z2

Some of you may have already seen this, but HERE is a link to the thread I started on installing a double din Pioneer D3 in my 01 Tahoe. The HVAC does not need to moved down. The instrument cluster bezel will need to be trimmed though and brackets fab'ed.

thdrill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So does an 03 Tahoe require a double-din aftermarket radio...or will it fit a single din as well?