Air Intakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ohmslaw

Reaction score
Ok I know there's a few intakes out there which is the the best performer? Airaid? Volant? AFE? Injen? What about AEM? (I know the made a great intake for my 2000 Civic Si) DUB? any others?

yukc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It stinks, I just found an ad where AEM was looking for a SUV to test fit their air intakes. They would give you it for free if you let them use your SUV. Unfortunately they already tested the 5.3 and needed a 4.8 engine. If you have the 4.8 email him right away at
[email protected]

You must be in the Los Angeles, CA area though.

ohmslaw

Reaction score
Ok checked out AEM's website. They now offer an aluminum piped Brute Force Dry Filter for just over $300. Now Volant offers a cold air intake made of plastic for three and a quarter. AEM claims a increase of 10 HP /14 ft lbs in torque. Volant claims 18 hp and 40 ft lbs of torque. Think the AEM dyno is legit and would love to see a dyno chart from volant. Leaning towrds buying the AEM intake. Any opinions?

ohmslaw

Reaction score
Just got my AEM Brute Force Cold Air Intake, let you all know the verdict if a noticeable increase in HP. I should 1/4 mile track test my Tahoe here at Infineon Raceway (Sears Point) but nothing but rain here recently. Anyone know the stock 1/4 mile time the tahoe runs? Also purchased Superchips Power Programmer. Has anyone done any mods like these?

ohmslaw

Reaction score
AEM Intake

Just slapped on the intake, and it looks great!

Attachments

• DSC01114.JPG
    DSC01114.JPG
    147 KB · Views: 125
  • DSC01121.JPG
    DSC01121.JPG
    141.7 KB · Views: 161

ohmslaw

Reaction score
amgv8400 said:
Cool!!!! I am sure it runs great and better peformance! :)

Yeah there's a bit more performance, definate better throttle response. Sounds a bit more throaty. I also added Superchips Power programmer which helped a considerable amount.

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks great! I bet if you look at any CAI's dyno data, you'll find the hp increase occurs above 4,000 rpm. I like diehrd's solution. :cheers: Also if you get one with oiled filter, don't overoil as you can coke your MAF sensor. :eek:

ohmslaw

Reaction score
No worries the AEM big brute is an oilless air filter. Thanks for the heads up because what you state is true! I'm sure I coulda pieced together an intake but lyou gotta love that polished look.

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No question about the polished look. If I pieced one, would probably paint it with black wrinkle paint.

Lizard1

Reaction score
so how did it turn out at the strip?

I just purchased the Superchips Flashpaq and am now considering a CAI. A guy I don't know all that well recommended Volant saying they consistently put out well-built, good products. I don't know

Will a CAI make much of a difference at RPMs less than 4K? I rarely push this truck - just want quicker throttle response and any increased power is a bonus. That's why I went with the flashpaq and am now considering the CAI

Thanks for ANY guidance!

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will a CAI make much of a difference at RPMs less than 4K?
Thanks for ANY guidance!

Probably the best way to answer this question is to contact the mfg and ask for dyno data sheets for your vehicle.

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wish I had access to a dyno - Volant ROCKS!

After putting 5200 or so miles on my '07 XL Denali, I installed my Volant intake kit today. This is the first powertrain mod I've made. A trip around town and on the highway after the installation yielded surprising improvement over the stock setup. While it's obviously still to early to tell re: fuel economy (main reason I went with this), the performance boost is pretty sweet. You will definitely hear a difference in the throatiness of the engine. In fact, I can even "feel" it in the throttle. The difference in power at mid-range RPMs is pretty obvious too. While I probably will never know for sure, I'd like to think I'm at 400HP at least, and around 435 lb/ft torque or more, but I can't say (it just sounds cool I guess - hehe).

Installation wasn't too bad, but since I've never done anything like this before, I took it slowly. Volant's "instructions" kind of blow; even though it wasn't too hard to figure out. The most surprising thing to me is the huge difference in size and shape between the stock air box and tubing, to the point I first thought there was no way I had the right parts. The stock intake tubing "assembly" has two large "lobes" on it: one is on the lower part of the tubing near the breather hose connector and is rather bulbous looking; and the other runs mostly parallel to the crankshaft and sits atop the engine block under the composite "Vortec" cover (which must be the resonator to quiet things down). You will have to remove the "accessory plate" on which the stock airbox sits, and the Volant intake box bolt holes line up perfectly. The breather hose is 8" long - wouldda been nice to get another inch so we're not tugging on it so hard at each end. Anyway, no issues with the installation, even for a total newb like me it took only 'bout 45 minutes. Volant does not offer the lower front fascia scoop option for the 6.2, and I'm scared to scoop up water or other road crap anyway the more I think about it... I'll check things out in a few days to make sure it's all still nice and snug.

I'll post a follow-up in a week or two to update my fuel economy, if I can resist keeping my foot outta her! Currently at 10.7mpg, and I hope to see things improve a bit on the next tank of Shell V-Power (Mobil-1 oil change was last weekend).

Next up: a programmer! (Well, after my McCulloch HID kit.)

Last edited:

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Complete Volant instructions / Denali (6.2L)

Well, I found the instructions I wished I had earlier today right here on Volant's site. I should've checked there before I did the work, but it really wasn't hard to figure out. Volant included the second page parts list and "schematic" in my box, but not the first page with the actual steps. The first page does NOT mention the 6.2L, but don't let that stop ya! Oh well...thought I'd share.

Last edited:

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Volant performance info...

...so I just got off the phone w/ Volant tech support, and he told me that on the 6.2 in the Denali and Escalade, the 15253 intake kit will add +36HP at the wheels and + 28lb/ft torque. Better than my guess. In driving around for the last couple of days, I can definitely hear and feel the difference. 418HP, 445lb/ft. WHOA. Not to mention, I've gotten an immediate improvement in fuel economy - I'm around 12.5MPG city now. Cool! :D Regarding fuel economy, I'll report back again in a tank-full or two...

PS - The Volant CAI will NOT work with a throttle body spacer (unless you mod the intake collar somehow), so if you want to do a spacer, look elsewhere for an intake unless you feel like pulling out the ole' Dremel or whatever...