Mis-fire/shudder 1999 z71

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

z71stock

Reaction score
I have a completely stock '99 which exhibits mis-fire/engine shudder under load. First noticed the problem while pulling a loaded trailer. When a downshift from O/D power seems to fall off; then when upshifting back into O/D a very bad shudder occurs. So bad that the front end visibly shakes. First thought was torque converter; reputable x-mission shop says no problem there.
Have had truck to repair shop and re-created the problem with OBD indicating mis-fires on Cylinders 2 and 7. (did not write the codes down). Check engine light comes on. Truck has 98k on it and no tune as of yet. Fuel pump was replaced @ 58k, allowed shop to tune-plugs, wires, fuel/air filters etc. Drove approx. 1k ok and started seeing the problem again.
Any Ideas??

Brisk

Reaction score
Its a 99?? I think that that is still the old body style with the 350 (5.7)?? 98k miles is getting up there for a 4L60E trans. My guess would be that or the Transfer Case (is it 4wd)?? Good luck!!

hotrodtodd

Reaction score
You mentioned everything but the cap. The 5.7 has a criss- cross fire cap with internal leads close to each other. I also own a 99 (silverado) same drivetrain. I had a issue with internal cross / mis fire. Wasn't as bad as what you described, but a cap solved the problem.

hotrodtodd

Reaction score
Also I'm sure your well aware 2 & 7 are the last two cylinders to fire. 18436572.

diehrd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
z71stock said:
I have a completely stock '99 which exhibits mis-fire/engine shudder under load. First noticed the problem while pulling a loaded trailer. When a downshift from O/D power seems to fall off; then when upshifting back into O/D a very bad shudder occurs. So bad that the front end visibly shakes. First thought was torque converter; reputable x-mission shop says no problem there.
Have had truck to repair shop and re-created the problem with OBD indicating mis-fires on Cylinders 2 and 7. (did not write the codes down). Check engine light comes on. Truck has 98k on it and no tune as of yet. Fuel pump was replaced @ 58k, allowed shop to tune-plugs, wires, fuel/air filters etc. Drove approx. 1k ok and started seeing the problem again.
Any Ideas??

Tune it if that fixes it cool if not then check the distrubutor gear for where,,There notorious for that and cause misfires when worn..