dull hazy headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mygreen98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
has anyone used any of the products out there to remove the dull haze from headlights ? if so which works best.

OSU_Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mother's plastic polish works really well. Toothpaste will also work.

SSport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used Meguires plastic cleaner followed by Meguires plastic polish.....came back like brand new!

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can also take 6000grit sand paper, wet sand the lenses and then use a polish/wax on them. (teacher did it in one of my autobody classes, seemed to work)

the toothpaste works decently, i've seen it done as well.

i was going to pick up the meguires to use on the tahoe, but ended up buying projectors for it, thus no need :)

Crazydefense32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine had the same problem, mothers works well, but I just used it as an excuse to buy new headlights, and the news ones are MUCH brighter! Good Luck! :Chevy:

OSU_Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry I hadn't responded, I had to go check the flavor of my headlights. They're cinnamon...

I haven't done it to my '07 since it doesn't need it but I have used toothpaste on a Lexus I owned a few years ago when one of the headlight covers got scuffed by a knucklehead in a Ram pickup. Worked great, especially since Mother's Polish didn't exist then. Got the idea from a body shop.

I've used Mother's both by hand and using a PowerBall Mini and both ways work great, just depends on the size and shape of what you're polishing. The taillight lenses on my Chevelle look new after hand polishing them and I've used a PowerBall on my wife's Mercedes headlights with equal results.

marinekilz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have done what 96procomp said and wet sanding then just using wax and it comes out clear as hell, but that is the old way of doing things. Mothers works great as well

Annihilator

Reaction score
The polishes never lasted long for me. I ended up buying a headlight restoration kit and using it. They are like 12$ at Autozone or Walmart. You have to wet sand the lights and then polish em. I got the best results after buffing with a Dremel tool. They look like new.

Tahoe07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Flitz polish works well and seems to last. I've used it to remove haze. Then follow with a plastic polish and wax. Looks new and stays that way. All can be done by hand.

skimo

Reaction score
Just be careful. You can crack the lenses if they are pretty old when you are putting presure on them. :)