crazy grinding sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TXTAHOE96

Reaction score
Ok I fire up the hoe and shift to reverse and Rerrrrrrrrrr... it sounds like I shifted to park while the truck was moving. As soon as i hear this I shift to Neutral and it goes away and i shift to reverse and no more noise. The next this i get is while backing up i give it the gas let off and give it gas again and BANG the truck jumps back like did a nuetral drop to reverse. Or like it is low on fluid.

The truck has 133k on it. It does have a 3" body lift which I am wondering if the shift cable linkage was not adjusted correctly. The transmission seems to drive and shift just fine, I did have to add a quart fo fluid to it when I bought it. But nothing since then. I bought the truck and drove it home 300 miles with no problems.

My other thoughts take me to the transfercase. I hate electronic shift 4x4's. I have no clue if it id in 2wd or possibly hanging between neutral and 2wd.

Any thoughts?