Need Help/opinion By Monday!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Crazydefense32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, I have been looking at Air Intake kits, and now that 4wheelparts.com is having a 10% off and free shipping sale on complete inventory (lasts till Monday 11/26) I figure this is the right time to get one. Since X-Mas is coming up I'm really trying to save my money, and I don't want to spend a lot... The K&N Intake that I have been looking at for the better part of a year is the best choice in my book. I've had good experiences with K&N in the past (and in my friend's 08 Denali). But it isn't cheap. So the cheaper one, the Airaid Intake looks good, except that it doesn't come with a housing (it just sits open), and it's tube only replaces part of the factory tube not the entire thing. The other cheap one, the AFE Intake has a housing, but like the Airaid only replaces half of the stock tube. I have read reviews for both and they seem to get great reviews but I don't know which one to choose... I have heard the Airaid brand name more frequently, which leads me to think it would be better quality, but the fact that the AFE Intake has a housing makes me think it would be better. If you had choose between the two which one do you think would be better? I really don't want to spend as much money as the K&N but do you think it would be worth it? Please try and choose between the AFE and the Airaid, but if you think the K&N is worth the extra $100 tell me! I really need some opinions on this before monday!! :Chevy:

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
K&N

Based on your list, I'd go K&N. It's an "almost enclosed" system, that appears to be better equipped to draw cooler air from the side of the engine compartment. At the risk of confusing things and muddying up yer thread, you know I'm a Volant guy; but of the ones you listed, I'd go K&N. My brother-in-law who runs that custom shop recommended K&N to me as well (but I'm still quite happy I went Volant). Good luck, and enjoy your new intake; I'm sure it'll really "suck"! :D

High4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, I've had K&N and, IMHO, it is not worth the additional money. I may be misunderstanding, Crazyd. When I add up the AFE configured like the Airaid, the price is $27 more for the AFE ($277), which of the two I would likely go for. However, the Volant is only $273 at Autoanything and $300 with the even higher flow dry filter. For the money, that's the direction I intend to go in several months.

High4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Volant is less than the AFE at Autoanything.com. Let's see, the following is what they have listed: K&N-$237; Volant-$237; Airaid-$277; AFE-$293. If you want inclosed (cooler air) and a dry filter the figures then start changing. I figured that a very good dry filter runs about $55 so the additional cost of a CAI with this feature is likely worth it. Anyway, hope you enjoy which ever one you decide to get.

Crazydefense32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Huh, the AFE was much cheaper when I looked, I'm seeing the prices for the 5.7 Vortec (97 Tahoe). :Chevy:

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pick which ever one you like best :p :D :smilielol:

i dont know much about these, but i would pic the one that gives the most power boost.

Crazydefense32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
None of them except the K&N report the power gain! Is it just me or is the forum acting weird today. :Chevy:

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
None of them except the K&N report the power gain! Is it just me or is the forum acting weird today. :Chevy:

um, a little heavy on the natural highs of turkey, black friday shopping, extra champain for an early new years (yes we did that last night), driving all over the east coast to find the right tree since the one we got last week for some reason is not good enough. :rolleyes2:

i think its just the holaday mix. :clapping:

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
personally i like my AEM Brute Force CAI. its a dry filter system, so no oiling or other B/S.

Crazydefense32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
personally i like my AEM Brute Force CAI. its a dry filter system, so no oiling or other B/S.

I looked at the AEM and I look it, but it too is expensive.

So far it is 2 for Volant, 1 for K&N, and one for AEM. And none for Airaid or AFE, the ones I am really looking at:crazy::crazy:. :Chevy:

High4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Autoanything.com for a 97 shows the AFE offered with only the open box and filter, using OEM tube. The others include a new (and larger) intake tube which is likely why they cost more. Since the goal here is to be helpful, I took the time to read the customer reviews and they are very positive for the AFE. Bottom line is likely to pick which ever you prefer. You might want to read the reviews for ease of installation and may also want to figure price differences with a closed vs. open box and wet vs dry filters. Let us know which you get and how you like it. I don't have one yet but do plan to go with the Volant.

Crazydefense32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Autoanything.com for a 97 shows the AFE offered with only the open box and filter, using OEM tube. The others include a new (and larger) intake tube which is likely why they cost more. Since the goal here is to be helpful, I took the time to read the customer reviews and they are very positive for the AFE. Bottom line is likely to pick which ever you prefer. You might want to read the reviews for ease of installation and may also want to figure price differences with a closed vs. open box and wet vs dry filters. Let us know which you get and how you like it. I don't have one yet but do plan to go with the Volant.

Yea I've read the reviews on autoanything and both the airaid and AFE have good reviews, but more so with the AFE, and I figured, like you said, the others are more expensive because they replace the entire tube, unlike the Airaid and AFE that only replace filter/box/and part of tube. Thanks for taking the time to read the reviews and being helpful I really appreciate it! Unfortunately I'm still stuck and have only one day to decide! :Chevy: