dashboard lights flickering help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

michael2029

Reaction score
help i just bought a 96 4dr 4x4 tahoe with 56,000 original miles almost brand new :D :D but abs light is on and the dashboard lights flicker what causes this and how can i fix it by the way great forum

Mike97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you be a little bit more descriptive? Does this happen only when you are moving? Does it happen when you are sitting still idling? Does it flicker in a pattern or rhythm, kind of like pulsing, or is it erratic?

I would suspect that your alternator is going if it is pulsing. Other problems would be corroded battery cables or a bad ground somewhere.

michael2029

Reaction score
it does it all the time steady pace more so in the morning but i dont know cause i dont use the lights during the day but damn its annoying

Mike97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like your alternator is going out. Take your rig to an auto parts store. They should be able to test the alternator with it still in the vehicle. I usually go to NAPA, but I've heard that Auto Zone and Schucks can also do this. It is usually free for them to test it.