Need Help with 99 Tahoe Electrical Issues!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

derekw7

Reaction score
I have a 99 Tahoe 4 door, 4x4, with 123000 miles.

Starting on Thursday, I've had serious electrical issues. While driving, the radio turned off by itself, then back on, then the entire tahoe died while moving - no lights, no noises, nothing - just as if the battery was totally disconnected. I rolled into a parking space. A couple hours later, still not working - remote would not open the doors, turning key did absolutely nothing (no lights, no clicking, etc.). I tightened both the positive and ground cables on the battery and then the truck started up without problem.

On Sunday, while sitting stopped in traffic, the dash lights would flutter and the engine would died without feathering the RPMs up to 1500-2000 or so. Finally, it got to the point where it would start while gassing it a bit, but then immediately shut off.

Took it to a mechanic yesterday (via tow truck). They removed and cleaned the positive battery cables (stacked). That seemed to allow the tahoe to run properly.

However, now the power door locks are working intermittently, and the factory remote does not lock or unlock the doors. The shop had to remove the alarm module because the alarm was preventing the engine from starting, horn was honking, etc. Pressing the door lock switch on the driver's door will lock and unlock a few times, then stops working for a while. Even when it works, it will not unlock the rear passenger doors, although it does unlock the barn doors in the back. Before the problem on Thursday, the remote and power door locks all worked perfectly.

Does anyone know whats going on? I see that other people have had problems with the stacked battery cables - but that should have been resolved through removal and cleaning. But why are the door locks all screwy now?? Thanks for any help here.

mygreen98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i would check a bad ground, possitive connections, altenator, or possibly a battery with a bad cell. can you open your battery or is it sealed? if so take a specific gravity reading on all 6 cells, and post your results.

mygreen98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
also check that the positive terminal is not loose/coming out of the side of the battery. ive seen that a few times.

chevyrider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had similar trouble with mine too, although not as bad. I thought it was my battery, but it was fine. I ended up having a shorted connection in my battery wire. Before i got it replaced i did fine with having to wiggle the cables around a little, but i would consider taking a look at this. If so it's a fairly easy fix.
good luck.