Chrysler trying to get in the Police cruzer market.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LAP TOP GAMER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
flying somewhare in VATSIM&Delta virtual airlines
Chrysler Aiming to Challenge
Ford, Chevy for Police Car Sales
Associated Press
November 27, 2007 12:35 p.m.

DETROIT -- The police car you see on the roadside could soon look a little different than you expect.

The sporty upstart Dodge Charger is aiming to challenge Ford Motor Co.'s Crown Victoria as chief of police cars. Chrysler LLC's full-sized model that debuted in 2006 is no immediate threat to the Crown Vic or General Motors Corp.'s Chevrolet Impala, the market's other major player, but the Charger is gaining momentum in a market that sells 75,000 vehicles a year as national tests cite its speed and handling.

"We've been steadily gaining market share and acceptance for the police vehicle since its inception," said Chrysler LLC spokeswoman Shawn Morgan. "We see that trend continuing."

It's a small dent in the automotive industry, which expects to sell about 16 million cars this year. But it's an important niche for auto akers because it gives them a chance to put their products to the test when life -- or at least the law -- is on the line.

"That vehicle has to accommodate a bunch of requirements -- it's an officer's first-aid station, comfort area for accident victims, command post for a crime scene. Next thing you know it's involved in a high-speed run, responding to a heart attack, chasing a criminal," said Lt. David Halliday, who leads the Michigan State Police's annual police vehicle tests that serve as a national standard for law enforcement.

"We really ask [the auto makers] to do an enduring duty for the public that's often underestimated," he said.

Auto makers don't break out data for sales to law enforcement agencies, but overall sales for the full-sized Charger were 97,833, up 1.5% for the first 10 months of 2007 compared with last year. The Crown Victoria's sales were 51,286, down 7.2% during the same period. The Impala's total sales through October were 270,504, up 12.6%, according to Autodata Corp.

John Felice, Ford's director of North American fleet operations, said the decline is due to a drop in retail sales, which accounts for a small percentage of the Crown Victoria's sales. He said Ford forecasts flat sales this year for police cars and controls about 80% of the market.

The latest round of police vehicle tests on 2008 models found the Charger with the 5.7-liter HEMI V-8 engine had the fastest acceleration, highest top speed and among the shortest braking distances.

"Law enforcement has always liked good performance in a vehicle," Lt. Halliday said. "For example, the (5.7-liter) Charger has a top speed of (nearly) 150 mph. If you're in the market for a vehicle that has that kind of performance, that kind of vehicle will fit the bill."

Lt. Halliday said his testing team doesn't assign scores to the vehicles or declare winners. It assesses what each vehicle offers and how it can be applied to a department's mission. The tests also include road racing course times on a two-mile course. The winners: the V-8 versions of the Dodge Charger and Magnum wagon.

Lt. Halliday said the Charger also has an advanced stability-control system, which senses when a driver may lose control of the vehicle and automatically applies brakes to individual wheels to help keep it stable and avoid a rollover. He said his team is working with the other auto makers on developing such systems for their police vehicles.

Likewise, many agencies opt for the Impala because it has front-wheel drive, which offers additional traction control in slippery conditions, he said.

Lt. Halliday believes the Charger might be garnering attention because it offers a new option in the market, long dominated by Ford and Chevrolet division.

Chrysler returned to the police car market in 2000 after a 14-year absence, but received what Lt. Halliday called a "lukewarm response from law enforcement" to its Dodge Intrepid. The Charger has been much better received, he said.

A Michigan state police spokeswoman says the department currently has about 670 Crown Victorias and 10 Chargers.

Ford's Felice said the Dearborn, Mich., automaker keeps a close eye on competitors but also works closely with law enforcement and is confident it's continuing its 50-year tradition of making safe, affordable, roomy and reliable vehicles for law enforcement.

"Really when you look at the overall police market. It's really .. not an individual attribute," Felice said. "It's who brings the product to the marketplace that meets the collective needs of this customer, the police officer."

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB119609095520103967.html?mod=AutosChannelMain_RelatedStories

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PT Cruiser is retarded. I was stuck in a rental for like two weeks in Birmingham AL a couple years ago. It was cute for about 30 minutes, then it was just embarrassing. :smilielol: I was too lazy to go back to the airport to swap it for something else, but I probably should have.

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOTS of Charger trooper cruisers here in VA. You really gotta watch it on the highways now. There were TONS of State Troopers out today -- dunno what was up, must've been some special "initiative" or something. Saw three Chargers and about 6 Harley troopers.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOTS of Charger trooper cruisers here in VA. You really gotta watch it on the highways now. There were TONS of State Troopers out today -- dunno what was up, must've been some special "initiative" or something. Saw three Chargers and about 6 Harley troopers.

up north too huh, i have had to be REALLY carful latly, i have seen a couple of chargers and crown vics but the most popular around here right now are the new impalas, i presume with the v-8.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea, because a high speed chase to a charger, is acully getting over 100

yes, im a dodge dork, i like dodge and chevy. but i hate FORDS

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so is the denali your wife's then??

i dont think i would ever even let my future wife own a minivan, heck i make sure we get an suv insted of a minivan when we travel.

man you gotta get a new ride.

Uhm, yeah, I bought the truck for her, so "the Denali is hers", or whatever! ;) Actually, she's the main driver, but she doesn't really go anywhere with the kids too often, so I drive it too.

The minivan was perfect for us in 97 when we got it. There's nothing wrong with it other than it's 10 years old. I think it still looks pretty good. I agree, I need a new ride, but I honestly don't see anything that I really love (other than my truck). The best thing about the Caravan is that it's been paid for for an eternity.

I'd have bought an Enclave in a second if it wasn't underpowered when I drove it. I waited for that vehicle for a long time (since the shows). I still love the look of it, but not so thrilled with the wimpy power train...

Something tells me I'll be driving a second SUV of some sort as soon as I come into some more $$$$$. Maybe a pre-owned '07 Hoe or Yukon or something, we'll see!

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Uhm, yeah, I bought the truck for her, so "the Denali is hers", or whatever! ;) Actually, she's the main driver, but she doesn't really go anywhere with the kids too often, so I drive it too.

The minivan was perfect for us in 97 when we got it. There's nothing wrong with it other than it's 10 years old. I think it still looks pretty good. I agree, I need a new ride, but I honestly don't see anything that I really love (other than my truck). The best thing about the Caravan is that it's been paid for for an eternity.

I'd have bought an Enclave in a second if it wasn't underpowered when I drove it. I waited for that vehicle for a long time (since the shows). I still love the look of it, but not so thrilled with the wimpy power train...

Something tells me I'll be driving a second SUV of some sort as soon as I come into some more $$$$$. Maybe a pre-owned '07 Hoe or Yukon or something, we'll see!

my dad has a platinum mitallic with titanium interior, there nice, but i really agree with you on the power, plus we had "first year" issues with it already, the entire rear suspension was rusted like it was ten years old, which fried the traction and abs systems. but that was fixed in 3 days, and its good for him as he has his vette when he wants to go fast. my mom has a matching acadia, no issues, but again same small v-6. he would still be driving his 1998 deville other than i found him an enclave with 4k miles on it and 12k off msrp, like i say he never buys new. the only think i do like about it is the fold flat third row. but yea, fully paid is a BIG plus.

Crazydefense32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have a few Charger cops around here, I don't take them seriously though, I just passed one doing 75 in a 65 on my Motorcycle today, after I passed him he jumped right behind me and tried following me, but I think he had the V6 cuz he kept losing ground, he was also a local cop on the freeway, so I don't think he could've pulled me over because of jurisdiction or something. The Charger is just like the Crown Vic in my book, dumb, and easily out runnable in my Twin Turbo or Motorcycle, I don't care what engine it has. Plus it's not even a real Charger, it's got four doors. If the make a Police Challenger, then I'll slow down! :Chevy:

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i like the charger, but it aint no general lee, the challenger is sick, i cant wait for that, but if i had a choice between the camaro and challenger i would take the camaro, im a chevy guy before a dodge guy.

fco_gonzo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have a few Charger cops around here, I don't take them seriously though, I just passed one doing 75 in a 65 on my Motorcycle today, after I passed him he jumped right behind me and tried following me, but I think he had the V6 cuz he kept losing ground, he was also a local cop on the freeway, so I don't think he could've pulled me over because of jurisdiction or something. The Charger is just like the Crown Vic in my book, dumb, and easily out runnable in my Twin Turbo or Motorcycle, I don't care what engine it has. Plus it's not even a real Charger, it's got four doors. If the make a Police Challenger, then I'll slow down! :Chevy:

Some numbnuts got killed the other day when he tired to outrun the cops on his motorcycle, tired to run a light but was hit by a car. the cops were only going to cite him for speeding.

the police Crown vic will top off at about 124mph but the charger will top off at about 142 mph...I've been told :shhh: :giggling: