4x4 fuel economy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hardwarz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, today, in Akron, OH, I had to turn on my 4x4 because as usual, the streets are not plowed. I noticed, after dropping off my kids, my gas gauge dropped by a significant amount.

When I drive like a grandma, I can get around 15 mpg. What can I expect to get with 4x4 on? 10mpg?

Hardwarz

Mike97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know what my economy is when using 4x4 because I haven't had to use it for a full tank. But I have seen the same thing that you described when I have used it. I drive about 16 miles, nearly all highway, to and from work every day. I too notice the gas gauge move a lot more when using 4x4 than when not using it. I guess it's around 10 mpg, but I don't have the numbers to confirm that. BTW, I normally get 16 - 17 mpg in 2wd. Don't know if that helps you or not, but you asked.

Hardwarz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
damn, I don't think I've gotten better than 12 since I've had mine, even with mostly highway driving.

I read somewhere on here that one guy has been trying to drive while keeping the tach under 2k.

I took this a little further. I try to stay under 1500 on my tach. That means slow accelleration. I also try to get off the gas before a stop light at least 50 yards before and coast to it.

I just kinda started this over the last couple weeks. I don't have hard numbers though, haven't been able to afford a full tank of gas.

Hardwarz

jwpotts0413

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mpg

get you a hypertech. i just got one and wow! it makes your hoe faster AND improves gas mileadge by like 2 or 3 mpg. plus you can get rid of those pesky check engine lights.

i got a k&n intake on order, as well as an msd 6 ignition box, accel coil, 8.5mm wires, and acdelco rapid fire plugs/cap/rotor.

i am hoping for 20+ mpg highway!!

prolly won't get it till i switch to an electric cooling fan and do the exhaust with headers and flowmaster delta flow. o well

racebronco

Reaction score
I have the older hypertech that does not have the setting for 87 octane gas, k&n replacement filter & magnaflow exhaust. adding these didn't help much. I guess it's not that big a deal since I mainly use it for a tow vehicle.. I was thinking an electric fan would help.
when I change my oil I'm gonna put 10w30 back in it so see how much it helps. I've been using 0w40 mobil one since I get it free.
jason

bamachevy89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This may not help since I have the newer body style (2004 LT), but when I use regular (87 octane) I get around 16-17 MPG, that's a mix of interstate and driving in the suburbs. However, I have noticed that when I use Shell premium (V-power) that I get anywhere from 17-19, same driving habits. When I put it in 4x4 I have noticed that it drops much more quickly, even if I just set it to Auto 4x4. For me, it comes out about equal in price to pay the extra twenty cents for V-power and get a few more miles out of it. Just my $.02.