1999 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Juan Maldonado

Reaction score
Front end shaking

I recently took my Tahoe in to check the wheel allignment. When I hit a bump or drive on a rough road, there is a lot of rattleing and it sometimes feels like something is hiting the floorboard. The guy said I needed to replace the Pitman arm and idler arm and probably the ball joint. Is this a common problem with normal wear and tear or is there something more serious causing this to happen? It also rattles real bad when driving over 60mph.

Last edited:

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i had to put new idler and pitman arms on my 96 tahoe. they put "upgraded" pitman and idler arms on it when i had it lifted. Seems ot be a common thing on them as i've read of several people changing them on here.

No new ball joints here.

Hardwarz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had that happen to me on my 99 Tahoe.

Follow the torsion bars to where they connect to the crossmember. Now, depending on the model you have, holding the crossmember to the frame is what looks like an aluminum twisted figure 8. Mine was broke in half and my suspension was doing exactly what yours was doing. Grab the crossmember and shove it up and down. If you can move it, that's that's your problem.

I went to the dealer and they had no idea what I was talking about. None of the pictures they had showed what I was talking about. I even told them they could go outside and look and see for themselves, the part, but they didn't want to. I went to another dealer and they pulled up the picture and ordered the item right there and then.

I don't have the part number, like I said, it depends on which model you have.

Hope this helps.

Hardwarz

UNTOUCHABLE

Reaction score
When I hit a bump or drive on a rough road, there is a lot of rattleing and it sometimes feels like something is hiting the floorboard. The guy said I needed to replace the Pitman arm and idler arm and probably the ball joint.

I'm having this same exact problem right now . I already had the ball joints replaced and they were a P.I.T.A. I guess it's time to replace pitman and Idler arms now.

Hardwarz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm having this same exact problem right now . I already had the ball joints replaced and they were a P.I.T.A. I guess it's time to replace pitman and Idler arms now.

Follow the torsion bars to where they connect to the crossmember. Now, depending on the model you have, holding the crossmember to the frame is what looks like an aluminum twisted figure 8. Mine was broke in half and my suspension was doing exactly what yours was doing. Grab the crossmember and shove it up and down. If you can move it, that's that's your problem.

Hardwarz

jwpotts0413

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if u don't replace your ball joints when necessary you could lose a wheel if you hit a big enough bump going fast enough

UNTOUCHABLE

Reaction score
I already had the ball joints replaced because I was having a issue with the tires wearing to fast in the front. The outsides of the tires are wearing down faster than the rest of the tire. I can't really tell if it's still going on but when I got it aligned the tech told me everything was ok after the new ball joints. I still feel the rattle in the floor board but not as bad. I'm getting 2 new tires but I'm taking the truck back to the shop to see if there's anything else going bad before I replace my 2 tires. BFG all terrains aren't that cheap so I need to fix all problems before mounting them .If there's any thing in particular I need to look for please give me a heads up.

(Juan Maldonado my bad for thread jacking, just trying to fix a on going problem)

Hardwarz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if u don't replace your ball joints when necessary you could lose a wheel if you hit a big enough bump going fast enough

I never said "don't replace your ball joints." From my experience, the crossmember where the tortion bars connect to has caused the same symptoms that they are both describing.

Hardwarz