New 95 Yukon owner, tough/sluggish starting?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bobcat698

Reaction score
Just picked up a 95 Yukon in nice shape powered by a 5.7L gasser dirt cheap for a winter beater..

Has a few quirks I'd like to see about fixing.

When cold, or when I want to start the truck after its sat for a bit, it takes a lot more cranking than a usual gasser to start.. Seems like its not getting fuel, every once in awhile it will nearly start, then sputter and die when cranking, then start up on next cranking.

Installed a new battery today as it wouldn't start at 9 degrees yesterday, not enough juice.

Pulled off the 2 wingnuts on the air filter and the filter is nasty, needs to be replaced. I discovered 2 or 3 plugs/sensors that each have 2 wires going to them. The sensor closest to the grille and drivers side has melted wires leading to it.
I asked the idiot at Autozone about it (I installed the battery in the parking lot) and he said it might be the fuel pressure sensor that has the melted wires, which may mean that the pressure is bleeding off when you shut it off, making it have to build pressure before it will fire again.

Plugs & wires were changed 20k miles ago, engine has 120k on it. I don't know squat about gassers (or at least the 5.7L 350) so I'd appreciate any input.

Crazydefense32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you replace all that junk (filter, melted wires, etc) it should be good. It could be just the filter, the engine might not be getting enough air. :Chevy: