'99 Tahoe wont start, new battery....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mattias

Reaction score
Hi guys.

Any help on this is highly appreciated.

So I've had a bad battery for a while (dead after cold or humid nights) and I've had to jumpstart it a few times now that the weather got uglier.
Yesterday after not having bothered with the car for 2 weeks I changed the battery.
Now the car cranks but it wont turn over, not even while jumpstarting it.

Have I reset the computer in any way maybe, would this cause any problems?

Thanks
Matt

1999HOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does it click? i mean now if its cranking you obviously got juice u might have to check the fuel and see if she traveling up....

Mattias

Reaction score
Hey.

No there's no clicking and I can hear the fuelpump starting at the turn of the key.
It sounds like it's almost about to turn over now and then but it never does.

421racing

Reaction score
do you have a sidepost battery????

if so, ensure that the cable is making good contact.....I had the same problem and almost went as far as replacing the starter before an old mechanic walked up and tugged on both my sidepost battery cables and jostled them around.....
It started right up after that........

mygreen98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you said it cranks fine, correct ? first thing to do is if check fuel pressure and check for spark. if both of those exist and still no start, pull a few plugs and see if they got fouled up from cranking it so much.

1999HOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea thats weird man any luck? ya know my blazer did some **** like that til i hit the starter with a hammer and she started right up...1 week later i replaced the starter....

Mattias

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.
I'll check all the above and see if she fires up.

Black96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
willamsport PA (college) souderton Pa ( home)
yeah hitting the starter with a hammer means ur starter, gear got stuck in the flywheel, also even if the starter is turnin the motor over but it wont start it stilll could be the starters problem, dad had this problem when workin on heavy equipment, had a dozer that would turn over and did everything to it, and had a second dozer to jump it and still wouldn't start, it would turn over like it would start, but just wouldn't click, he brought it into the shop and put another starter on it and, it started right up.

now u said there was no clicking, if its not clickin ur selioniod could be faulty, or ur starter gear could be stuck in the flywheel, and an easy solution, u can bar the motor over a bit by hand, or wiggle it around a bit to see if it comes free if u dont feel like hittin the starter with a hammer

Mattias

Reaction score
Tried to start with spray can today, no luck.
Sounds like it's not fireing up right, there's a "klonking" sound.

Not far from the repair shop I think...

Mattias

Reaction score
Took out the new battery the other night, bought a portable charger, charged it over the night and what do you know, it started up.
Total bliss.