4WD Fuel Economy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LTZJoe

Reaction score
Okay guys, Toronto has finally been hit with WINTER.

One of the reasons I chose the LTZ over the Denali was because the LTZ was not full-time A4WD - that is, I get to choose 2WD when 4WD is not necessary, without leaving that up to the onboard computers - which are incapable, in A4WD, to truly run the vehicle in 2WD.

Having been hit with some snow & ice last week, I switched over to A4WD. I left it there for the duration of the bad weather, which was pretty much the whole weekend.

Now that my tank is empty, and I've checked the odometer, I'm here to report the following: WOW!!! I went from 560 - 580km (350 miles or so) per tankful in 2WD, down to a lowly 400km (250 miles) on this tank, in A4WD.

THAT'S a 30% drop, for those of you reaching for your calculators.

ANOTHER reason why I was right in choosing the LTZ over the Denali!!!

Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I seldom see snow but sounds like you made an intelligent choice my good man. Gotta love these vehicles, for the size, very good mileage. Sorry to hear about the $#itty weather though, hope it clears up for you and you can get back to 2WD ASAP.

LTZJoe

Reaction score
To be honest Bear, I can't wait for the 2WD weather either - that's when the Vette comes out!!!

Seriously though, it was one of the leading factors in choosing the LTZ. I just had no idea how much the difference really was!

G-R-E-A-T choice nonetheless!

Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WHATTTTT!!!!!!!!!! The what is coming out???? The 'Vette???? You are a GOD dude. I want a Vette as well but I'm going to have to wait at least 3 years before I can consider it. Either way MPG's are going to be an issue huh???? What do you get out of the Vette mileage wise?

Gettreal

Reaction score
LTZ... Thats good info as I will now be switching from A4WD to 2WD asap. I have the same set up as you and also in the Toronto area.. Funny you mention your other baby... Looks like we have something in common... we are Both LTZ and Vette owners. Mine is a triple black 01 Vert.:D

LTZJoe

Reaction score
Gettreal said:
LTZ... we are Both LTZ and Vette owners. Mine is a triple black 01 Vert.:D

Sorry Gettreal, I haven't visited this post in some time.

Mine is an '05 C6, 6-spd, Victory Red, with red interior...sounds gaudy, but looks great.

Oh, and the LTZ is Black with Light Titanium interior. I'm waiting for the good weather to roll around so I can take a pic of the both of them, side by side.

Having realized the BIG difference in fuel economy, I'm ALWAYS in 2H and rarely use A4WD - only when I have to. In the '01 I had previously, it was in A4WD from November thru March (almost). Somehow, I don't think the difference was that big in the '01.

Still love my '07 though.

jearbear60

Reaction score
Towable Tahoe 4x4

Hey Joe, I just got our new TAHOE LTZ 4x4 and so far love it, your were talking about using your four wheel drive, hey if it saves you a tow cost or your life, what is a few galleons of gas, but what I wanted to say is I have a motor home and because the TAHOE is towable, number one reason to buy it, the Denalit and Escalde aren't towable, and I think the comfort in the TAHOE pretty well matches that of a Denali, at a considerable savings, after all not all of us play high paying sports, enjoy your ride.

TahoeMike

Reaction score
Another reason mileage decreases during the winter is that air is denser when it is colder, thus our engines have to push our brick aerodynamics through the dense air much harder to maintain speed.

LAP TOP GAMER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
flying somewhare in VATSIM&Delta virtual airlines
TahoeMike said:
Another reason mileage decreases during the winter is that air is denser when it is colder, thus our engines have to push our brick aerodynamics through the dense air much harder to maintain speed.

How much air are you pushing at 15 MPH?, it cant be enough to make a difference. You are turning the front differential and all the extra gearing that will cost more fuel.