Noticable gain?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brandon6127

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was wondering something today and wanted to see if anyone has done it first. I noticed that alot of the air intake kits leave the filter out in the open. I figure it will def get more air than in the stupid box it sits in now. Would it be anything noticable or would it just allow to much dirt to clog the filter and to much hot air off the motor?

Mike97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That type of intake is called a short ram. Depends on the vehicle as to whether or not you will see much of a gain. I wouldn't think you will see much gain on these vehicles, as you will be pulling in quite a bit of hot air from inside the engine bay. A better solution is a cold air intake. The stock intake is technically a cold air intake, as it pulls in cooler air from outside the engine bay.

Since I am still running the stock setup, I can't say for sure, but I would think you are better off with the stock air box than with a short ram. Maybe someone who has tried one can come up with some comparisons.

Hardwarz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since I am still running the stock setup, I can't say for sure, but I would think you are better off with the stock air box than with a short ram. Maybe someone who has tried one can come up with some comparisons.

I was thinking about this too. Ideally, you'd only need a larger intake tube where it goes into the inner fender and a high flow air filter using a stock type box.

So, technically, someone making a new bottom for the stock box, and an adapter that gets put into the side that will hold a larger intake tube and provide a high flow air filter, could make tons of $$$ for something that would be cheap for us to buy.

Hardwarz

Mike97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about this too. Ideally, you'd only need a larger intake tube where it goes into the inner fender and a high flow air filter using a stock type box.

So, technically, someone making a new bottom for the stock box, and an adapter that gets put into the side that will hold a larger intake tube and provide a high flow air filter, could make tons of $$$ for something that would be cheap for us to buy.

Hardwarz

I don't think you would see a noticeable gain from that setup. I believe that the bottleneck on our intakes is the MAF sensor. You can buy an aftermarket MAF, but they are around $300. That's the first thing I would upgrade before changing anything else on the intake, except maybe replace the paper filter with a K&N.

blackedhoe

Reaction score
A MY 99 TAHOE HAS A FULL K AND N INTAKE KIT A GRANAELLI MASS AIR FLOW AND A BORED GUTTED 75MM AFTERMARKET THROTTLE BODY A POWER IS NOT CHEAP SO THE CHEAPER YOU are the cheaper the performance is gonna be it takes money to do it right

Mike97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A MY 99 TAHOE HAS A FULL K AND N INTAKE KIT A GRANAELLI MASS AIR FLOW AND A BORED GUTTED 75MM AFTERMARKET THROTTLE BODY A POWER IS NOT CHEAP SO THE CHEAPER YOU are the cheaper the performance is gonna be it takes money to do it right

You are absolutely right. It takes $$ to make horsepower!. Are you looking for recognition? So you spent some money on a maf and tb. :appl:

Is that doing it right? Well, it's a start. There are a lot more things you can do to increase hp. You are correct when you say that you have to spend $$ to make power. But most of us don't have disposable incomes, and cannot afford to pour money into our rigs. You'll have to forgive us for discussing our measley little intakes and headers.