Transfer Case

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steven

Reaction score
I use my 99 Tahoe daily (usually several times in a day) to drive the beach and surf fish during the fishing season ( Sept. to Jan.). This was my first season with this truck and my Transfer Case went :confused2: . I am waiting to hear from my mechanic on the details. He won't have more info till after this weekend when he has a chance to talks with his tranny guy.

My truck has only 69,000 miles, all road driven, until I started using it as my full time beach buggy. I have previously had a 1990 Jeep I used for 17 years w/ no 4X4 issues before I opted for a bigger truck. I always air down and am very familiar with driving on the beach ( so I know it's not driver error).

My question is are these truck designed for this kind of 4x4 use? Not the occasional off road excursion, but several times a day 4x4 use on soft sand.
Or is this just one of those kinds of things that just happen to good trucks every now and again.

I know I have to get the work done, but I am concerned with the long term viability of my Tahoe for this kind of use. With the yearly mileage I put on my beach buggies ( only 3000 miles a year) I hoped to have had 10 + years of use without any major issues.

Does anyone have an idea of what kind of $$$ I may be looking at to replace the transfer case? Waiting till Monday is killing me. In addition are there any other mechanical components I should address while replacing the transfer case?

Thanks for your help.

Steven

Reaction score
How about some help with this question:

Based on how I plan to continue to use my truck which is the be the best option for me: new or rebuilt transfer case ??

Is there an after market product available to "bullet proof" my transfer case ??

Something heavy duty, an upgrade over the stock transfer case ??

Thanks.

Bobc

Reaction score
Hey Steven, how did you make out on this? I have a 99 Tahoe with 132 K and I think my Transfer case is going as well. What were yoru systemptoms or did it just let go ?

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting question. I sometimes wonder if the bigger wheels take a toll on my transfer case.

SPXTrader

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've run my hoe from Hatteras to Duck 4 to 5 times a year since 1998, and no problems with the X-case or DL. It's not the same as my old 79 Jeep quadra-trac that the hoe replaced. That thing would go anywhere, in anything. I believe there are two big differences that show up in sand performance between the hoe and the Jeep: solid front axle, and weight. I had an older 'burban with the solid front, and it did almost as well as the Jeep.

What's your case doing that makes you think its going out? Inquiring minds want to know!