99' tahoe factory speaker size?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TrailFiend

Reaction score
i want to upgrade the speakers in my tahoe, which has the LT package and is a 2 door. i think that the doors take 6 1/2" speakers and the rear high mounted speakers are 4 x 10", but im not sure. also, there are tweeters in the doors...i need to know those sizes too. thanks

Brandon6127

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 99 Tahoe 4 door and my front two are 6.5" and the ones up top are 4x10's. (The tweeters on mine atleast are right infront of the window controls). They are 1.5". Pioneer has some 1.5" horn tweeters (TS-S250) They are great and very loud. millionbuy.com has them for about $50 but i think you can find them on ebay for slightly cheaper

TrailFiend

Reaction score
thanks alot, that was what i needed. now i can start my search for speakers! thanks again.:thumbsup:

Brandon6127

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dont know if it helps but this is what i installed. 6022i infinity 6.5" in all 4 of my doors and Pioneer TS-A4103 4x10's along with those pioneer horn tweeters. Great over all sound and works wonders with my custom subwoofer system i have.

jwpotts0413

Full Access Member
Reaction score
go to crutchfield.com and put in your vehicle info. they will show you what parts fit. then you can go to ebay and get them for half price

jwpotts0413

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there isn't just one size that fits. the doors will fit 5.25" with a bracket or 6.5" (stock size). the rear roof is 4x10 and the tweeters are 1". but you can fit different sizes in those locations. 6x9 will fit rear roof with a bracket and they are bigger surface area so more bass. tweeters will fit up to 2" with a little cutting of the stock mounting hole. i just got coax speakers and left the stock tweeters. coax speakers have a tweeter in the center. i have 6 tweeters total in my 2 door. all in the factory speaker locations. the 6.5 and 4x10 speakers i used were all coaxial speakers. i spend about $75 on all 4 coax speakers. i got em new in box from ebay after getting the part numbers and harness plugs from crutchfield.

TrailFiend

Reaction score
there isn't just one size that fits. the doors will fit 5.25" with a bracket or 6.5" (stock size). the rear roof is 4x10 and the tweeters are 1". but you can fit different sizes in those locations. 6x9 will fit rear roof with a bracket and they are bigger surface area so more bass. tweeters will fit up to 2" with a little cutting of the stock mounting hole. i just got coax speakers and left the stock tweeters. coax speakers have a tweeter in the center. i have 6 tweeters total in my 2 door. all in the factory speaker locations. the 6.5 and 4x10 speakers i used were all coaxial speakers. i spend about $75 on all 4 coax speakers. i got em new in box from ebay after getting the part numbers and harness plugs from crutchfield.

where can i find a bracket for 6x9" speakers for the rear upper 4x10" spots?

TrailFiend

Reaction score
will those brackets allow any 6x9 to be installed in that 4x10 opening? im looking at the alpine S-series 6x9's.

qlc1964

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it`s a waste of time changing them 4x10 to 6x9`s. they are not separated
under the head liner so you will not get good bass from them.unless you do
a some what of a encloser still lot of work.

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it`s a waste of time changing them 4x10 to 6x9`s. they are not separated
under the head liner so you will not get good bass from them.unless you do
a some what of a encloser still lot of work.

he's got a very good point. but i have to add there are only a few speaker manufactures out there that even make a 4x10. I'll have to swap mine out for 6x9's (or 5x8's) this spring when i swap out my factory speakers so i can run the new fusion powerplants :-D.

mudmyhoe

Reaction score
No matter what configuration you go with, you should have pretty good sound quality because of the size of the cab. FOCAL speakers have amazing sound qulaity, you may pay alittle more up front. But you will never have to worry about them blowing out.

http://www.focal-america.com/

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had some diamond components with a kicker sx500.2 and they were loud as hell! I ran the tweeter in the stock location in the door and they imaged a little high. Q-forms makes some kick panels for your truck but I would fiberglass them a bit as they're kinda thin for kicks, definitely worth the $150 if you don't wanna build them from scratch.

qlc1964

Full Access Member
Reaction score
actually i did replaced the 4x10 with autobanh 4x10 plus you can relocate
the tweeter if you want to.
but last summer i un hooked them and put some kenwood 5x8 in the rear
barn doors NOW that took most of the day to do. i made a encloser out of
a vinly sheet i had left from a job.

i used my heat gun on it to form it and sealed it with caulk so it`s a encloser

thats working fine.

I did this so when we watch movies on the 13" thats facing the rear i just
open the barn doors and flip a switch to turn off the amp thats to the front