1996 Tahoe tanyy problems.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

beaugt

Reaction score
1996 Tahoe tranny problems.

My tranny went out in my 1996 tahoe 4x4. Only 106K which sucks but on to the question. What tranny is in my rig? Is it a 16 or 17 bolt? I have no idea what that means but I need to know. Thanks Beaugt

Last edited:

jwpotts0413

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4L60e design flaw

it is a 4L60E. they are notorious for crapping out early. i have heard many complaints of them failing at 30K miles. mine died at 115k. i paid $1200 to have it rebuilt with a shift kit, beast sunshell (a must!), corvette servo, alto clutches/steels, auxillary cooler(from z71 package) and the valve body fix with a 2 year/24,000 mile warranty, o yea and the 2 u-joints on the front driveshaft. Jeff Holt is my boy! ask me if you need his info. his shop is in charleston, south carolina and he can hook you up!

if your symptoms are a hard bang from 1st to 2nd gear then you got the same problem as most of us. the valve body (thing that controls fluid in the tranny oil pan) has a design flaw. this little hole gets reamed out and causes the computer to turn the shift pressure up WAY too high which makes the tranny tear itself up. they have an $80 kit to fix this but if your gears and clutches are burned up... you gotta pay big bucks to replace that stuff. don't let the dealer charge you over $2000 to put another crappy transmission in there!! call around to local tranny shops and get a quote for less than $1500 to rebuild with a warranty. but first get them to change the fluid/filter and update the VALVE BODY

as far as how many bolts are in it i have no idea but it's definitely a 4L60E

beaugt

Reaction score
Never had it doing hard shifts, one day it started grinding. Then like a week later would not move. Like if your clutch went out in your 5 speed. Thanks For the help.

kastiron

Reaction score
My 99 tranny went kaput and started spraying fluid at 39,500. Been fine since rebuild, almost 175k now. Maybe just needs a little TLC to get it straightened out. Good luck with it!

jwpotts0413

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well an auto tranny does have clutches too. i would say get some1 to check yours. alto is a great brand for aftermarket clutches. best wishes and happy holidays!

95ukawn

Reaction score
im going thru the same motions myself with my 4l60e hard shift 1st to second gear and found metal shavings when changed my tranny oil but its still running at 178k miles. feliz navidad and ano nuevo everyone!