01 Tahoe Sub Size

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BCJ954

Reaction score
Can Anyone Tell Me The Size Of The Sub In The Rear Panel Of The 01 Tahoe? Also Can It Be Changed With An Aftermarket Brand? If Anyone Knows The Ohm Load So I Won't Burn The New One Up Would Be Helpful
Also. Thanks

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Welcome to the site. The factory sub is a 4ohm 8" and it can be replaced with most aftermarket 8" subs into the stock enclosure. If you want to go a little bigger, there is enough space behind the panel to have a custom enclosure built to house a 10" sub.

BCJ954

Reaction score
One More Question. Do You Know Of Any Website I Can Go To And Get Instructions On How To Take It Out?

zeokter

Reaction score
-Kicker makes a few descent 8's. If your looking for a cool upgrade .$55-$125
- Re Audio makes a nice 8 .. $75

google search: Re Audio ( Their high end stuff is equal to JL audio @ half the price)

You should be able to get thoose to fit in the tahoe oem sub box pictured below.

index.jpg

I'm trying to do the same thing .. But I plan on upgrading the 8 and installing a RE audio sr 10' or kicker L7 8 '.. I have been looking everywhere for samples of this upgrade and cannot find anything..If anyone has any examples of this install please post pics here! Or a website where we can get a custom boxs made that would be nice..

Last edited:

BCJ954

Reaction score
I Am In The Process Of Taking Measurments And Trying To Build A Box The Will Fit In The Same Location As The Factory With About .573 Cubic Air Space And Dropping A Decient 8 Or 10 In. If Or When I Get It Right, I Will Give The Measurments So Anybody Can Build It. Also If Anyone Else Has Done It Themselves And Would Be Willing To Share Their Measurments, That Would Be Very Helpful.

bzbatl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want a "stealth" install, I'd highly recommend getting a custom fiberglass panel created for that entire side (there's very few things behind that panel, more room for boom!) - the only real issue is you lose the spot for the jack. It's a useless jack, anyways - I'd rather have a hydraulic style kept under the rear seats.

I built a small mounting frame for a large amp and hid it behind the panel and attached banana plugs to the plastic... so I can take out my box whenever required.

duketter

Reaction score
Hi, I put an 8" Polk/MOMO MM2084 in my back quarter panel. 2001 Tahoe. Not all 8" will fit as it is not a very deep opening. I also added an aftermarket amp to power it. Sounds great! I believe though the factory sub is an 8" 2 ohm, not 4 ohm? All the other factory speakers in the Tahoe are 2 ohm.

Also, it is very easy to remove and replace the factory subwoofer back there. Let me know if you have any questions on this. I think I may have a diagram on how to remove the back to get at that subwoofer. I would recommend though to also look at getting an aftermarket amp to power the new sub. I don't think a new sub will sound much better just hooking it up to the factory stereo and amp.

I first tried just putting a new sub back then without an aftermarket amp and it sounded ok, not a big improvement since the sub takes a lot of power to move. But after I put my aftermarket amp in the Tahoe it sounds great.

Last edited:

jpmaniac87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why would my aftermarket head unit (clarion flip out dvd) not put any sound to my factory sub in a 2000 LS model??

duketter

Reaction score
I believe it is because you didn't hook up your factory amp to your aftermarket stereo. You may have to find your factory amp remote wire and hook it to your aftermarket stereo. The problem is you are not turning on your amp and that is why the sub is not playing. The sub plays through the amp if that makes sense. If you did this then I would say maybe check for a loose wire.

jpmaniac87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If its just the remote wire that's the problem, shouldn't i just be able to hook it up to an ignition wire?

zeokter

Reaction score
open then squeeze the glove box until it drops all the way down. After its open you should be able to see the speaker wires going into the harness and amp to the right. thats on my 2001 with sub in back.

Last edited:

01smellytahoe

Reaction score
I would like to bump this thread and see if anyone has built some custom enclosures at the factory sub location. I was hoping to put a 10 in there and keep it as stealth as possible. Any charts, graphs, schematics, please share.