Bright white headlights + snow = bad idea?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hardwarz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed foglights on my Tahoe... too bad I didn't install them in the wife's Saturn, we drove through the bad weather in the Cleveland area during the heavy snow fall this past Saturday.

So, I've been thinking, if I had whiter lgihts like the Silverstars, wouldn't the snow fall glare be even worse? Fogs would cut through with yellow light from below, but I'm thinking that white light would be more like high beams in a snow storm. You won't be able to see 3 feet past your front bumper. I haven't tested this, but some of you may be able to give me insight.

Hardwarz

Mike97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed foglights on my Tahoe... too bad I didn't install them in the wife's Saturn, we drove through the bad weather in the Cleveland area during the heavy snow fall this past Saturday.

So, I've been thinking, if I had whiter lgihts like the Silverstars, wouldn't the snow fall glare be even worse? Fogs would cut through with yellow light from below, but I'm thinking that white light would be more like high beams in a snow storm. You won't be able to see 3 feet past your front bumper. I haven't tested this, but some of you may be able to give me insight.

Hardwarz

It's not only the color, but also the angle the lights are pointing. It's bad to drive in snow or fog with high beams because the light beam is pointed up higher than the low beams are. Properly mounted and adjusted fog lights are pointed down, and are also mounted low on the vehicle. This will reflect less light back at the driver. I had silverstars in another car I used to own, and it wasn't any worse with those than it was with regular halogen bulbs.

Now, having said that, amber fog lights are better in fog and snow than white. So color does also affect visibility in snow and fog conditions. The biggest problem I had with the silverstars is that they tended to only last for about 6 months. You could almost set your calandar by them, lol.

racebronco

Reaction score
my mom has silverstars in her tercel they are about 2 years old, maybe just a problem with the tahoe's??
I have HID's in my S-10 & they are great even in the snow. like Mike97 said, it's how they are pointed, I have mine pointed slightly more toward the ground than stock so I don't blind oncoming traffic.

Mike97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my mom has silverstars in her tercel they are about 2 years old, maybe just a problem with the tahoe's??
I have HID's in my S-10 & they are great even in the snow. like Mike97 said, it's how they are pointed, I have mine pointed slightly more toward the ground than stock so I don't blind oncoming traffic.

Like I said in my post, I had the silverstars in another car I used to own. A 2002 Mazda Protege5. Maybe it was the headlight design on that particular car, but I knew several other P5 owners who experienced the same problems with silverstars. I have not tried them in my Tahoe because I didn't want to take the chance on spending that much on headlights if they might only last 6 months. I'm glad to hear that they seem to last longer in other types of vehicles.:thumbsup: