Which tahoe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ray40

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been covered to death. But can someone tell me the major difference in the 95-99 tahoes and the 2000-06 versions. I know they went to coil rears and from a 5.7 to a 5.3 But Is the ride significantly better in the newer vehicles? what about steering? Which would be a better tow vehicle? thanks in advance

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
99 to 2000 was engine and body and interior, but the steering wheel and radios and stuff did not change much until 03, 03 were the biggest changes when they started using computers to control stuff, like ac and drive by wire, also new designed seats, and options changed. like navi became avaliable. :umn: the dash design also changed in 03, different type of radio, or newer designes, if you got 4wd in an 02 and back the stabilitrak button was where it is now on any 03 and up gmt 800 but if you didnt get 4wd on an 02 and back the stabilitrak was one button on where the 4wd would be. in 03 the steering wheel changed as well as the door panals and type of metrials used. :umn:

i personally think the ride is much smoother on the 00-06, but i have auto ride, that also became avaliable, it was not available on 99s. steering is lighter and easier to turn, but that may be different on an older gmt 800 as mine is only about year and 3 month old. if your gunna tow i would get the 5.3 as it has more torque and more HP. also i would look for atleast 3.73 gears and if at all possable get 4.10 like me as it makes towing much more comfortable with the low end torque, i tow 6000 pounds with moderate ease.

Crazydefense32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 99 and up Tahoe's also got much improved brakes, something I wish they had figured out on my 97' because they suck!! Otherwise what RT said above! :Chevy:

Biggwaukegan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
`

Brakes can be updated on these 97s we got. Baer can be a little costly but they are tops. :thumbsup:
For the most part the 95-98 models are very easy to work on and have a good market for parts whether you like it stock or performance. Plus if you do the research these models can still be found for sale with low miles and you can pay cash so you outright own it, unlike most of the guys with 2000 or newer ones in which they owe still for their Tahoe....Ha ha:cool2: ..But anyhow. The late model Tahoe can also catch up in horsepower with a few add-ons to the vortec 5.7 motor...Headers, Exhaust with Muffs, TBI Spacer, Intake, Cam... Personally I cant really rag on the newer ones too much because I dont own one. But I can state the goods about the late models Tahoes because I do. You cannot go wrong with a Chevy Tahoe period my friend.