How to change distributor cap/rotor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jwpotts0413

Full Access Member
Reaction score
anybody got some info on this?

i have the parts on order but haven't looked at doing it.

any info would be most greatly appreciated.

also, any tips on how to remove the stock ignition coil would be awesome.

i have spent several hours trying to figure it out with no luck.

i tried using the dremel to grind out the rivets, even took off the air intake assembly to make more room. still no dice...

mygreen98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2 screws hold down the distributor cap, should be phillips head, rotor pushes on. the coil can be removed from the truck completely, via removal with the bracket, then disassembly will be much easier.

jwpotts0413

Full Access Member
Reaction score
don't you have to align the rotor to keep from screwing up the timing?

i got the coil out after 2 hours with the dremel and the last little bit with a hammer. my stock coil is mangled but i got the accel in there and it's great. seems to start much easier.

i can get the cap off, but i just didn't wanna touch the distributor aside from changing the wires b/c i have no idea how to set the timing. i know the computer controls it and adjusts everything but i had a mechanic who reinstalled my distributor incorrectly and my hoe ran like sh*t. had to get it towed back to him!

if i can just remove those 2 screws and toss everything in there ill do it myself. i just thought i would see if there is anything i should know before i remove it. mainly because i won't have a ride to work if i put it back together and screw something up.

thanks for the reply, any more info would be great

mygreen98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
rotor pull straight off, old one might be on there tight depending how long its been on there. there is a keyway that aligns it on the shaft. just pop old one off and push new one on. thats it.

mygreen98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the distibutor is held down in place by a bracket at its base where it goes into the engine. just pull straight up on the rotor.

jwpotts0413

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cool i'll try it on my day off this thursday. thanks for the replies!

:thumbsup:

pinoyesv6

Reaction score
the two screws that held on my distributor cap were torx screws.

one the cap was off, two more torx screws held on the rotor. as long as you remember how the general way the rotor was pointer you can't screw up the alignment.

StreetLife55

Reaction score
Firing order

I need a good diagram of the firing order of a 99 Che y Tahoe. And where they are connected to the distributor

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Cap SHOULD be Embossed from the factory.