Stock Air box for Air Filter...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Biggwaukegan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive seen some post online about cheeseboxing your stock air box. I mean cutting holes in it....Will this help at all with HP? or fuel mileage?? thanks:yaya:

Slammed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ahve heard it does but if your gonna do that you at least have to get a K&N airfilter but why go through all that just get a CAI and keep the stock box for when you decide to get rid of your hoe for a newer one

bparker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:iagree:
I ahve heard it does but if your gonna do that you at least have to get a K&N airfilter but why go through all that just get a CAI and keep the stock box for when you decide to get rid of your hoe for a newer one

Mike97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally, I would like to see data that shows that perforating your stock air box will yield any appreciable gains. I'm a bit skeptical. Mainly because the stock intake is technically a cold air intake. It pulls in cooler air from outside the engine bay. If you cut holes in your air box, you will be sucking in hot air from inside the engine bay. While you may get a little better air flow, I would guess that it is probably cancelled out by the fact that that air is hot.

Slammed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its the same concept as add a open airfilter or a K&N and with those you do gain a little

But the holes in the airbox thing is an old school trick to making more noise from your exhaust and intake

Biggwaukegan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
man thanks for the input it sure is usefull. To the guy that has the 02 tahoe rims on his 97, how much did the rims/tires run you? Did you get them from the dealership? thanks:thumbsup:

Mike97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rims were in it when I bought it. I've seen several sets of these on ebay and craigslist over the past few months though. Keep an eye out, you shouldn't have too much trouble finding a set. But I wouldn't buy them from the dealer though. They would probably cost as much as a nice set of aftermarket rims.

jwpotts0413

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i really agree with mike97. tho your intake might sound like it is doing better after "cheezeboxing", it prolly isn't getting much more air and the air definitely wouldn't be as cold.

u can get a 2 piece cold air intake (cai) off ebay with a genuine k&n filter for under $100. the real deal will cost u $200 @ least. mine was $220 shipped. stay tuned to tech write ups where i will post the directions for installation of my k&n gen II fipk

i heard that an msd 6200 ignition helps gas mileadge in the upper rpm range a lot. i am saving for one now cuz i definitely have a heavy right foot

by the way:

i got '04 5 spokes for my 2 door. paid $180 shipped to the door off ebay for all 4! they are in perfect shape. i guess the guy got new rims and just wanted them gone cuz he had to have paid $100 for shipping at least. o well, now i just wish i had the money for tires. lmfao they have been in my garage for almost 5 months :(

about 2 weeks ago i saw a 2 door with em on it and they looked sick!! god i need a better job

Last edited: