Engine overhaul

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tahoeman21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey..... so i took my tahoe to the mechanic and said that there is a possibility that it might be necessary to put in a brand new engine if my block is cracked... i took it to the mechanic because i thought i busted a head gasket and got a milky shake in the dipstick... anyways my question is.... is there a possibility that my transmission will go out after putting in the new engine?

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
any signs of tranny trouble. i dont see why it would if your haveing no trouble with it. but did it throw a rod, i had two engines do that ( boat , mercedes ) and they cracked the block and would not run after wards. so belive the mechnic when it does need a new engine. but as i say enless your having trouble with the tranny then i dont see why you would.

bparker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also think you should consider the other factors:

How many miles does the trany have on it now?

Do you plan to keep this Hoe? if so, how long?

Are you using this Hoe to tow anything? or is it light daily driving use?

What are your finances like? Would it be a stretch for you to replace the tranny too if you intended on keeping this Hoe for another 200k?

If you are just fixing it to drive it for who knows how long - I would not replace the tranny.
But if you plan to keep it long term, and are willing to invest in it and it does not strain you financially, then why not, as you know in time, you will have to address issues with automatic trannys. I wouldnt replace it, until I had an issue with it.

But my luck is that, if I didn't, It would go out on me as I drive off with a new motor. :lol:

tahoeman21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my tranny has about 95,000 miles same as the engine..... so far i plan to keep and love my hoe for a long time.... it shifts fine... the thing that has wondering me is the rpm when im traveling at speeds of 70-80MPH @2200 to 2500RPM... is it normal? do these trannies have overdrive?

Last edited:

jwpotts0413

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4th gear is considered overdrive (u know this b/c the "D" has a "0" around it)

my '97 2 door goes 73mph @ 2000rpm stock rear end, rebuilt tranny, 122k miles, 4x4

i do 65mph @ 2000rpm towing my boat. (it weighs over 5000lbs)

i do have a hypertech module, k&n fipk, accel coil, 8.5mm wires, acdelco rapid fire plugs.

mygreen98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
why do you say bad block? sound like head gaskets, or cracked heads, not block.