leaf springs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fishnbutch

Reaction score
my wife has a 99 tahoe. lately when you come to a stop it makes a clunk, then when you take off it does it again. we took it to the dealer and they said it was the leaf springs or the leaf spring bumpers. they said it was not a safety issue but it bugs my wife. does this sound right and is this somethig i can do in the driveway? any help will be greatly appreciated. thanks.

mightymouse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A clunk sound when you start or stop does not sound like the leafspring or leafspring bumpers. It sounds more like the driveshaft u joints or a worn rearend.
To check this simply climb underneath and try to rotate the driveshaft and see if there is any play.
If there is play, but it does not seem to be coming from the u joints it is probably the rearend.

BigDogg88

Reaction score
I'm not for sure but it could be the the leaf spring clamps are junk... the leaf spring bumpers are between the rearend and the leaf spring so they could be worn to, causing the rearend to shift a little when completing a stop or taking off. Either one of these could be done in you own driveway and shouldnt be too bad to do. Thats my opinion on your question, hope its some help.

Moularia

Reaction score
same here

i have the same model year tahoe, its been doing that for the past few years, its not the rear end, cause i have had my rearend replaced do to a blow out (my mistake)... if it is the leafsprings i have to check that out... hopefully it wont cost me an arm and a leg... planning to sell it, and i dont want it to be a problem while trying to sell my truck!