First post first question- ABS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tahoefuz

Reaction score
I have a 96 hoe 5.7, every morning I get the same thing, I'll start the truck no problems, no check lights, when I back out of my spot I have a stiff brake pedal, no power brakes, and the ABS light comes on. if I push the pedal and hold it there, it will slowly sink to the floor, and then I will have my brakes back, but the ABS light stays on. There have been a few times when the anti-locks have kicked in on dry pave, but usually not. what does this sound like, I was told it could be the brake booster, but was wonderign if it might just be a simple brake bleeding.

racebronco

Reaction score
usually when the brake booster goes out the pedal gets really hard & you can sometimes hear it sucking in air when pushed in. I've had to replace the booster in my 98 s-10 but it's a manual so the problem might show up differently in an automatic. does the idle change when you press hard on the brake?? mine would jump up to about 1500rpm & then the ecm would adjust it back down if I held it there. if your having abs problems it may be the abs pump.

tahoefuz

Reaction score
thanks for the response, but price don't seem too bad, it's only $100 for the booster reman. Would you recommend replacing the master cylander while I have it apart?

2000 Z71 Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i wouldnt replace it unless it is leaking. you can see if its leaking if there is fluid running down the front of the beester.

tahoefuz

Reaction score
I know what you meant, lol. Sounds good enough to me. Thanks for all your help.