I just cant figure it out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Class_D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello Everybody

I had the thermostate changed on my 99 tahoe and now when I turn on the heater to warm things up, all that comes out is cold air. The other things that has me puzzled is that even after the changing of the new thermostate is the temp gauge, my truck gets hot and I turn on the heater for it to cool off but nothing but cold air comes out? I just dont know what to do and I dont have the cash to take it to the dealership to have them check it out.

Any help will be deeply appreciated.

Class_D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read a piece somewhere here that with the engine cold/off to remove the radiator cap, turn on the truck with the heater on and see if the "blurb" happens. When I get home I will try it and see what happens.

Class_D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, I got home and sure enough there was no visable fluids in my radiator. After filling it up I turned the truck on and watched the fluids go down and kept pouring in more coolant while watching the "blurb" from the air pockets. vwala, heat once again.

Issue #2: Now there appears to be a leak. I really dont think it can be condesation because this is a good size puddle, but I aint no mechanic and I can be wrong. looking inside the engine I couldnt see where the leak was comming from but judging from the looks of it from peaking under the truck, it looks like its real close to the firewall? IDK

Mike97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it coolant or just water? It's pretty easy to tell if it's coolant, as long as you are running the correct mixture.

If it's just water, then it's probably just from the AC evaporator in the dash. The AC runs whenever you have the defrost on I believe. Even if you don't have the AC switch turned on. If there is a lot of moisture in the air, it will freeze onto the evaporator. When you shut the engine off, the "frost" melts and will puddle under the firewall on the passenger side. If there is more moisture in the air, there will be a bigger puddle.

If it's coolant, you definitely have a leak.

Class_D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lots of great info! Thanks fellas!

This may be a total noob question but I'd still would like to know approximately how much coolant is required in the radiator?

Thanks again everyone!

don hoe

Reaction score
no heat

sounds to me like you need to replace heater core:mad: :mad: :mad:

Class_D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CRAAAAAAAP!!!

So I'm looking at my engine with mass confussion stareing at my thermostate housing and to the left is this hose with a metal piece that goes in to the intake manifold and theres a little leak cooming from that area. I wiggle the hose and snap, the metal piece breaks!! OMG!! There's a broken piece still in the intake and the metal piece to the hose doesnt look like I can just pull it off. Does anybody know the name or part number of this piece??? I'll do what I can to get pics up soon, any help would be a big help.

Class_D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spoke with the dealership, the part I'm reffering to is called the "Nipple". based on my VIN number will determin which nipple will suit my case best.

Class_D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My latest issue: getting the broken threading from corroded nipple out from the manifold.

Any suggestions?

don hoe

Reaction score
not crap it oh sheeeeeeeeit

well that line i beleive would be your heater core intake line. if it threads in from the outside of intake i would soak it with good penetrating oil over night and get a large easy out and try too back it out.then take a magnet extension and make sure you get all the metal out of intake.just a suggestion.good luck.:confused:

Class_D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OH Sheeeeeeeeit indeed!!

Well, the Manifold cracked. At this point I'm going to start making some calls and see who'll charge me what for the work required to get my Tahoe back on the road.

Any suggestions as to which Manifold to go with?

Mike97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OH Sheeeeeeeeit indeed!!

Well, the Manifold cracked. At this point I'm going to start making some calls and see who'll charge me what for the work required to get my Tahoe back on the road.

Any suggestions as to which Manifold to go with?

Are you wanting to go with aftermarket?

Brandon6127

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a similar problem. My heater started blowing out cold air. Noticed my coolant was getting low so i filled it and saw it going down within a few days. Now it was a very slow leak but i managed to find it. The gasket on the intake had worn in a spot and the coolant began to leak into the oil. I had to pull the intake and put a new gasket down and flush the motor. At the dealership they estimated the same job at about $1000. Problem fixed and runs great and i also have heat now.

Class_D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback Fellas. I gave my local Dealer a call and they qouted me the same price right around $1000, thats the route I'm gonna go. I'm sure they'll offer some kind of warrenty also.

Brandon6127

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is a 12 month 12,000 mile warranty. They will flush your engine, change your oil, add new coolant, new gasket and reseal the intake manifold.

Untitled415

Reaction score
You just have to hope that the piece is not small enough to go through your valves into the intake otherwise youll be looking for more than an intake...