Help Blown Motor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1995YukonBlue

Reaction score
Does anyone know what it would take to convert a 1995 tbi yukon over to a newer vortec? The motor in my yukon is blown and Im having trouble finding a replacement.

Mike97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what it would take to convert a 1995 tbi yukon over to a newer vortec? The motor in my yukon is blown and Im having trouble finding a replacement.

I don't know for sure, I would say that you would have to strip the 95 engine down to a short block, and transfer everying over from the vortec (heads, intake manifold, exhaust manifolds, distributor, sensors, etc...). From what I have read, I believe that the block is the same on the two engines.

Oh wait, are your wanting to put a vortec engine in your 95 Yukon? Then you would want to do the opposite of what I described above. Strip the vortec down to a short block, and use everything from the tbi engine.

If you are wanting to keep the vortec engine a vortec, well that's beyond my knowledge. I'm sure it's been done, I just wouldn't know where to start.

2000 Z71 Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah i think the block is the same. i think it would be easyer if you got a new Long Block from chevy. and i think your going to have to get a new ECU as well.

1995YukonBlue

Reaction score
really Im just looking to get the darn thing back on the road with as little cost as possible. Ive been trying to find a motor with miles on it but running well for cheap. The only problem Im running into is in California for smog reasons I can only use an engine that has serial numbers off of the same year or newer. That only leaves me with one available year with the same engine. Anything newer is a different motor. So I wanted to see if anyone new how to convert a newer engine , 5.7, 5.3, 6.0, etc. into a 95 truck. Is it going to be just the wiring harnes and computer? And will that harness mate up to the bessel on my 95. Just wanted to see what people knew about it. Thanks again for any help.