BOSE or no BOSE... that is the question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Danjelo

Reaction score
Hi guys!
Im getting my first Tahoe -03 in a couple of days. I am so stoked! The Tahoe Im looking at has the BOSE system. Is there a big difference between the Hoes with and without this system. What is the difference exactly between them and is the BOSE system any good?

bahollis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Bose system is OK, as long as you don't plan on cranking it up real loud. Mine has decent sound with the XM signal, and sounds a lot better playing a CD. There's not a lot of bass though. I had a thumping system in my old Chevy pickup, that had tons of bass... but not much more. That being said I'm pleased with the Bose in my Tahoe. It's good enough for me to be able to say I'm not spending lots of $$$ to replace it. And it's lots better than what I had previously, even without all the bass.

Just my 2 cents. You'll probably get lots of differing responses on this post.

BH

MadMedwyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Bose system is quite a bit better than the standard system. My 2004 Yukon has a Bose system, and my friend's 2001 Suburban has the standard system. The difference is very noticeable. You'll probably get better highs more than anything, since with the Bose system, you actually have seperate tweeters on the front pillars on either side of the windshield. There are crossovers I believe, because your mid speakers will never distort due to them struggling to put out bass ect. And, there's a 4-channel Bose amp down below your center console, so your speakers aren't just being amplified by your head unit.

The subwoofer is decent, but it should hardly be called a subwoofer. It's just a 6inch speaker that pushes low frequencies and does more mids than a real sub does. I took mine out and I have an Infinity 10" in the rear.

But the bottom line is, the Bose system is pretty good, but it doesn't have the power of aftermarket equipment.

Danjelo

Reaction score
The Bose system is quite a bit better than the standard system. My 2004 Yukon has a Bose system, and my friend's 2001 Suburban has the standard system. The difference is very noticeable. You'll probably get better highs more than anything, since with the Bose system, you actually have seperate tweeters on the front pillars on either side of the windshield. There are crossovers I believe, because your mid speakers will never distort due to them struggling to put out bass ect. And, there's a 4-channel Bose amp down below your center console, so your speakers aren't just being amplified by your head unit.

The subwoofer is decent, but it should hardly be called a subwoofer. It's just a 6inch speaker that pushes low frequencies and does more mids than a real sub does. I took mine out and I have an Infinity 10" in the rear.

But the bottom line is, the Bose system is pretty good, but it doesn't have the power of aftermarket equipment.

Did you just substitute the 10" or did you add an amp too?

LAP TOP GAMER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
flying somewhare in VATSIM&Delta virtual airlines
The Bose system is OK, as long as you don't plan on cranking it up real loud. Mine has decent sound with the XM signal, and sounds a lot better playing a CD. There's not a lot of bass though. I had a thumping system in my old Chevy pickup, that had tons of bass... but not much more. That being said I'm pleased with the Bose in my Tahoe. It's good enough for me to be able to say I'm not spending lots of $$$ to replace it. And it's lots better than what I had previously, even without all the bass.

Just my 2 cents. You'll probably get lots of differing responses on this post.

BH

Yup I feel the same way as I am on a family budget and I have other priorities than sinking thousands into a stereo system as many other thing eat up the budget.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im very surprised at how many people hate the bose system, I LOVE IT. sounds great and i can turn it to MAX with no sound distortion that you get on the base radio. crystal clear sound at all volume levels ( not 0 DUH :D ) plus i dont need to be like a crapy rice burner driver and sink 20 or 30 k in to the stereo.

LAP TOP GAMER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
flying somewhare in VATSIM&Delta virtual airlines
im very surprised at how many people hate the bose system, I LOVE IT. sounds great and i can turn it to MAX with no sound distortion that you get on the base radio. crystal clear sound at all volume levels ( not 0 DUH :D ) plus i dont need to be like a crapy rice burner driver and sink 20 or 30 k in to the stereo.

I love it too, the XM and MP3 jack could be louder, I'm going to have them check the radio settings when they do the oil change on Monday, but other than that I love thing like speed compensated volume, try getting that feature after market, good luck!

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love it too, the XM and MP3 jack could be louder, I'm going to have them check the radio settings when they do the oil change on Monday, but other than that I love thing like speed compensated volume, try getting that feature after market, good luck!

on all of our new gm trucks i got a headphone amplafer for 30 bucks at radio shack and its much better, but still not as good as a cd but at least i can here it better. im still waiting on my iphone kit to come in. i hope the kit works as described thats almost like blue tooth, when a call comes in, pauses the music and answers the call. :thumbsup:

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The bose system is quite terrible in my denali but I'm used to a much higher quality equipment. I replaced my door speakers with 2.65ohm infinitys and it still sounds like garbage, bose just can't touch any decent aftermarket car audio by a long shot. I'm planning on running some focal highs with the new alpine pdx amps and a ported fi or re 12, should be nice and clean after I deaden the interior but it takes alot to really make these trucks sound good.

MadMedwyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you just substitute the 10" or did you add an amp too?

The Infinity Basslink T I have has a built in 250W amp. But don't buy what I have. Go get a real setup, like a sub in it's own wood MDF box and keep it's amp underneath a rear seat. The Basslink T comes in a plastic enclosure, whose two halves are held together via 30 or so screws. It rattles and buzzes like hell. It's only noticeable at certain frequencies, but I can safely say that it's the biggest $400 mistake I've ever made.

TexTahoe

Reaction score
Definately Bose

I truly like the factory Bose system, however, it does lack the BASS punch. I've had the infinity bass link in a passenger car, so I put an audiobahn bass tube in my truck. Huge mistake. Pulled it out (it is still in my attic) and put in a 300 watt kicker amp + a comp kicker 12". Hits pretty hard!

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have bose in my house, and i realise that its AWSOME for movies, but is not the greatest system when it comes to music.

i think bose is more toward surround sound movies, than music.

but i love the bose in my yukon, sounds awsome anyway. but bass can always be better.

WrenchGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its stock. When you listen to it every commute you basically get used to it. My cousin has Bose in his Silverado. I've rode in that thing almost everyday to work for a year and then I get to listen to my front stage and its a night and day difference. You could kill that Bose with less than a grand. Also doing this with factory locations and no huge mods.

Then it comes down to you. If it sounds good to you keep it that way. But listen in on other peoples aftermarket stuff. There may be something of your taste. I'm astonished by the realism in my tunes its awesome. Bose aint touching that...lol

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck sounds pretty good with the infinity coaxs and the bass less than 1/2 up. As long as you don't ask the amps for too much they sound decent for stock amps and cheap speakers, can't wait for my pdxs and focals up front tho.

cincinnati

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the factory bose is not too bad at all, but you have to realize this is basicly an upgraded entry level factory system so to speak even tho it is bose. the rear sub is the biggest draw back. can you go afternarket enclosure with aftermarket amp and still use everything else from bose ?

WrenchGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the factory bose is not too bad at all, but you have to realize this is basicly an upgraded entry level factory system so to speak even tho it is bose. the rear sub is the biggest draw back. can you go afternarket enclosure with aftermarket amp and still use everything else from bose ?

Yeah just feed a LOC with the stock sub wire and so on. Then power and grounds and such.